PDA

View Full Version : 2x6 oil ?

Uncle Tucker
04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
Due to lack of time and equipment, I am considering going with oil. I have a couple of questions.
On a 2x6 with a 10” stack can I use a 6 “ damper or dose it have to be 10”.
Will the oil jell at cold temperatures.
Could I go through a season with one fill up (250 taps).
Thanks for any info.

Haynes Forest Products
04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
I went thru 1100 gallons with my 3x10 making 300 gallons off 1125 taps average was 2% in 3 weeks. So this should be absolutly no help what so ever. I did see someone with a formula for wood verses oil so how much wood did you burn and did you quit early due to running out.

halfast tapper
04-22-2009, 11:24 PM
I know a couple of guys who have an oil fired 2x6. They burned about 300 to 400 gallons of oil and made 75 gallons. To me it seems it would be more cost effective to burn wood. Just my opinion.

KenWP
04-23-2009, 07:15 AM
If you add in what it cost to gather enough wood to make that much syrup you would probbaly come out the same. Remember you have to handle firewood several times before it goes in the evaporator. The ratio they try to use up here is three to one on a efficient evaporator.
You also have the fact that with a oil fire evaporator it gets hot right now and cools down faster so you would spend more time boiling efficiently.

Homestead Maple
04-23-2009, 07:19 AM
To keep my fuel oil from gelling, I use a diesel fuel additive for antigel and water dispersant. You can buy what's called Power Service, right at Walmart. This stuff has been around for years and it really works well. There are other types such as FPPF Polar Power.
I've seen other peole use a damper in their stacks to help keep more heat in the evaporator or use a barometric damper.
I like the oil because of the time consideration of having to put up all that wood and a year like this making 374 gallons of syrup, I would have had to have approx. 14-16 cords of wood on hand, using the rule of 1 cord of wood to 25 gallons of syrup. I used around 190 gallons of oil but there are factors such as using an RO, or Steamaway, or the like in the process.

Haynes Forest Products
04-23-2009, 08:36 AM
I have never had a freeze that was so cold that the oil jelled. I know in trucks thats a real problem in 15 years of Wisc. weather no problem. Elec drum heaters work to. Just insulate the fuel line into the shack.

Fred Henderson
04-23-2009, 11:36 AM
If it don't jel up in that truck that is delivering it I doubt it will other wise.

Uncle Tucker
04-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Ken,
You are right. It is a lot of work. I have a chainsaw and that’s it. That means I have to cut logs in the woods and bear hug each piece to the pile that I will split. Then rent a splitter and restack the pile in the woodshed. And last year I had my woodshed full and I still ran out of wood. This means I need to build a small woodshed to house extra wood so I don’t run out. Then restack it from one shed to another. All this is taking my fun hobby of making maple syrup and turning it in to a lousy paying job. I think I would rather have the oilman do all that work for me so I can spend my time playing with the family. I know it’s a lot of money but money well spent. I think of all the hobbies out there that you can’t break even at. I will be happy having syrup for friends and family, covering my coast, and a little money left over.

There, I think I finally talked my self into switching to oil.

WF MASON
04-25-2009, 03:30 AM
I've known alot people who switched to oil, I can't ever remember anyone going back to wood. Its fast and clean , you'd like it.

Grade "A"
04-25-2009, 06:14 AM
I also figure in what a new front pan would cost me because I had a close call, hit the switch and saved the pan. Not sure I would be so lucky with wood.

Haynes Forest Products
04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
UncleTucker When you wire up the oil gun put the switch up high so people dont mistake it for a light switch safty cover can help