PDA

View Full Version : rain in the evaporator

Brent
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I have a standard roof jack and the stack extends about 6' up from it. A few inches above the top of the jack I put on a collar that is supposed to keep the rain out. The rain runs right through the collar, down inside the sugar shack, down the stack soaking the insulation blanket to protect the roof and down the stack into the evaporator. Sooner or later it's going to cause some rusting in the evaporator.

Anyone got an idea how to stop the rain running down. Standard caulking and sealants won't last long at the high temp of the stack.

Father & Son
04-22-2009, 11:09 AM
High temperature silicone has worked good for me. I think I got it at Home Depot.

Jim

Fred Henderson
04-22-2009, 11:21 AM
yep as said high temp silcone is the answer.

markct
04-22-2009, 03:37 PM
yup high temp silicone worked great on my stack, and be sure and seal well especialy at the joint lenthwise in the stovepipe, and also make sure the sections are together so they shed water kinda opposite the usual woodstove way to put stovepipe together.

Haynes Forest Products
04-22-2009, 04:50 PM
I agree that high heat silicone is the way to but it wont last if you have single wall pipe with flames shooting out the top. What I just did on my cabin is take a sharpir and mark a line around the pipe at the top of the coller and slide it up and put a bead of the good RED high heat on the line and then pull the coller down and then silicone the top it will stay sealed longer.

Haynes Forest Products
04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree that high heat silicone is the way to but it wont last if you have single wall pipe with flames shooting out the top. What I just did on my cabin is take a sharpir and mark a line around the pipe at the top of the coller and slide it up and put a bead of the good RED high heat on the line and then pull the coller down and then silicone the top it will stay sealed longer.