PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Stack SS vs Asbestos

JohnsSugarShack
04-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Debating on whether to put up SS smoke stack or an asbestos chimney, I'm going to need approx 12ft of straight pipe. Does anyone know the life expectancy of the SS smoke stack? If I use a 6" asbestos chimney compared to a 7" SS, will it effect the draft enough to matter?

Fred Henderson
04-21-2009, 06:59 PM
Unless you are running 1000 drg or better stack temps SS should be good for 50 years.

3rdgen.maple
04-21-2009, 10:24 PM
I would not mess with asbestos. go with the ss it will last a lifetime if taken care of.

JohnsSugarShack
05-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info, went with the SS stack. What kind of clearances do I need from the roof trusses and the wall to be safe? Don't want to burn down my sugar shack the first year. Thanks
John

Haynes Forest Products
05-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I would go with a section of insulated in the roof and then your good to Zero clearance on wood surfaces. all you need is about a 24" section. Plus your roof jack will help with the clearance rating

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-09-2009, 09:54 PM
I have a 10" single wall stainless pipe going between trusses on 24" centers, so I have about 6 inches on each side of the pipe. I have all the exposed wood covered with a layer of ceramic blanket, so I don't worry about it this way.

Flat47
05-10-2009, 05:45 AM
I think you mean Metalbestos by Selkirk (double wall, inulsated, non-cancer causing stove pipe)...big difference from asbestos (cancer causing insulation)

Justin Turco
05-10-2009, 08:23 AM
We use homemade aluminum heat shields to keep the heat away from the wood in our sugarhouse. Seems to work pretty good. You can buy sheets of aluminum at your local building supply. Ours even sells sheets of copper. Which would be pretty cool. Once I've got the heat sheild the way I want it I spray it with clearcoat from a spraycan. So it stays looking good (no corosion). The heat hasn't seemed to bother the clearcoat. We have no more than a foot of clearance from the back of our stack and the wall all the way to the ceiling. No problem.

For the stack I think I would just stick with plain old stainless.

JohnsSugarShack
05-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Thank you all, my question has been answered. Just wanted to make sure I have proper clearance between the wall and the stack. And yes Flat47 I did mean metalbestos, I decided to go with the 10" single wall ss stack from leader. Have a lot of work to do on the sugar house and evaporator but really looking forward to the next season.