PDA

View Full Version : Selling bulk syrup as retail

Amber Gold
04-21-2009, 03:52 PM
This is something I’m on the fence about. It’s already April and I’ve already sold everything I produced for the year so I’ve been selling syrup from another local producer. It’s excellent quality syrup and I’ve been buying it in bulk and bottling it myself. To date I’ve been telling customers that the syrup is not my own, but from another local producer who is a friend of mine. Some give me funny looks, some buy, others don’t. Should I tell customers the syrup is not my own? I’m still selling them a quality product that I stand behind, I just didn’t produce it. If asked if it is mine then I would tell them it wasn’t…wondering if I should be upfront with this information. I want to expand my customer base and want to sell all year. Next year I’ll be tapping more trees, producing more syrup, and want to have the customer base to support it. Thoughts??

Thanks

maple flats
04-21-2009, 04:13 PM
I only offer that info if asked.

Fred Henderson
04-21-2009, 04:17 PM
If you are jugging it and insureing quaility control then it is essences your syrup. Don't volunteer info unless asked.

mountainvan
04-21-2009, 04:33 PM
You bought the syrup, it's yours to do with what you want. Do you think the big guys make all their own syrup? Product of, and, or, canada/usa. Good luck expanding your retail sales.

Clan Delaney
04-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Josh-

I sold my sap this season, and took payment for it in syrup, which I'm bottling myself and am in the process of selling to what's becoming my small group of "regular" customers - family, friends, and co-workers. Early on I was giving myself a hard time about selling syrup that wasn't drawn off of my own personal equipment. I got over it. (I tend to agonize over ridiculously small matters) All week I've been putting the word out - "I'm bottling syrup this week, who wants some!?!". If anyone asks, I can say that it was made from the sap from my trees.

Haynes Forest Products
04-21-2009, 05:35 PM
Didnt I just hear about this on the news I think Congress is working on this issue. Its called Dont ask Dont tell. But seriously if the same person sold you sap would you need to tell your customer its not your sap......I think as long as you put it thru your quality control standards you got it from a reliable sorce you reheated and bottled it and stand behind it whats the harm? At what point do we have to open up our operations. Hey I made this syrup from a friends trees.

maple sapper
04-21-2009, 07:56 PM
need more to sell? Talk to me in July when Im sitting on mine.

maple sapper
04-21-2009, 08:02 PM
btw, does anyone need some good tasting B for those who like B. I only made B. I want to trade for some lighter stuff to satisfy the customers who want med or dark A. If this interests anyone let me know. Thanks maple sapper.

Amber Gold
04-22-2009, 06:18 AM
I'm not concerned about reselling syrup, was just wondering if I should be upfront about it. From the response I'm getting, the answer is a resounding no. I was thinking along the same lines.

Thanks

markcasper
04-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Amber Gold, I wouldn't worry about it at all as others have said. There are some packers around that have nothing to do with actual producing. Yet if you read their stories, you are led to believe that they produce it A to Z.

BTW, I think it was you......thanks for the referral on the USDA grader. I ordered one direct for $125 vs the $260.00 that Leader is charging for the very same thing. It works very well and am pleased with it.

Homestead Maple
04-22-2009, 10:29 AM
New Hampshire laws on packaging syrup state that if you produce the syrup, you can put a label on the container that says, "Produced by".... If you are packaging something other than what you produced, the laws state that the label has to read, "Packaged by"....
I don't know if that helps you or not.