PDA

View Full Version : cleaning the arch

3rdgen.maple
04-18-2009, 10:08 PM
How do you guys get the burnt on crap off the sides of your arches. I have a stainless arch that my dad spilled a little syrup on the side of and he thought it would be a great idea to throw a gallon of sap at it while he was boiling to clean it off. Need I say anymore. I have had bad experiences with oven cleaner. Any ideas?

KenWP
04-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Throw 2 gallons maybe. BBQ cleaner. Let it wear off.

benchmark
04-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Brasso metal polish should work to take the brunt stuff off.

dano2840
04-19-2009, 09:39 AM
every ones been telling me vinegar to clean the pans y not the arch? lol

PerryW
04-19-2009, 03:04 PM
I use only hot water on the outside of the pans.

I believe that vinegar or acid was used to dissolve the nitre which in on the inside of the pans.

Haynes Forest Products
04-19-2009, 03:21 PM
When Im cooking aad cleaning as sap leaps out the finish pans and steam runs down the flue pan I take a clean wet rag with full streangth vinagar on it and wipe the steam hood and SS down when its hot and that keeps things looking new. When I want to really clean the arch I get out the High Heat flat black spray paint.

3rdgen.maple
04-19-2009, 09:41 PM
vinegar on the stainless steel arch not the pans doesnt cut it. Black paint is not gonna cover that shiny steel. I have tried everything. I got most of it off but still some small spots I want to get off. I would have cleaned it imediately like Haynes does which is what I usually do but Dad boiled that day and it was too late when I got there. Short of a sore elbow I just got to keep scrubbing I guess.

benchmark
04-19-2009, 09:51 PM
Soooooo I take it you didnt try Brasso................. It'll clean up the burntness and shine you ss up also.

3rdgen.maple
04-19-2009, 10:17 PM
Benchmark yep tried the brasso it did work with more scrubbing than I liked but that is what I'm going back to to finish it up. Not fun sitting on concrete and scrubbing. I was just hoping there was an easier way like just spray it on and wipe it off. Oh well nothing is easy. Maybe one of the kids will get into trouble and I will have a nice little project for them to do while they think about what they did so wrong to deserve this. LOL Thanks for the info.

johnallin
04-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Have you tried WD 40? Would not try it on the inside of the pans, but it is amazing stuff and has lots more uses than just stopping squeaks. I have not tried it on baked on syrup but have been suprised more than once with what it will disolve - shouldn't hurt your SS at all. Just a thought.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-20-2009, 04:56 PM
CDL recommends oven cleaner on a stainless arch on the outside.

Haynes Forest Products
04-20-2009, 06:18 PM
I love the stuff for the inside of the pans. Drain let dry and spray with EZ OFF oven cleaner and spray wash. Hey its food safe.

3rdgen.maple
04-20-2009, 11:09 PM
yes sir tried the old oven cleaner even tried the bbq version. Directions say it needs to sit there for 40 minutes. Ever see a liquid stay on a verticle surface for 40 minutes. Me either. Just ran down the sides and didn't even touch it. Kept spraying and it kept running down the sides. Floor looks pretty darn good around the arch though. As suggested brasso is the trick just takes a little time.