PDA

View Full Version : Building an oil fired oil tank evaporator

gunnergo4th
04-16-2009, 09:10 AM
This was my first year making syrup and I'm hooked! I really like 325abn's set-up but i still have few questions. 1 Is it better to have an angled or straight wall fire box and how big? 2 Will a home furnace burner be sufficient running a 1.75 to 2.25 gph nozzle? I'm in the gathering stage right now and appreciate any suggestions. I have read all the old posts and I'm in overload!!
The ADDICTION begins

Grade "A"
04-16-2009, 07:09 PM
Last year I used a home furnace burner and I had a 2 gph nozzle on it. any bigger would not burn good. I bought a new burner for this year that will go up to 6 gph. You will have to look on the burner fuel pump to see how many gph it will pump. You can change the end cone to get you more air with a bigger nozzle if it is not burning right. I don't know how big your arch is but mine is a 2x6 and a 4 gph is all I need for it, I might try a 3.5 nozzle next year.

The shape of my arch is the same as you see in all the major book (sloped back wall). I do have some fire bricks for a blast wall to keep some heat in the front. It seems to work well.

gunnergo4th
04-16-2009, 07:55 PM
I picked up an oil tank of normal size but they must shaped different then the ones in the states. I think it's considered 900L and it is not flat on the ends and is only 23" wide. Now I'm thinking maybe I should make one out of angle iron so i can get at least a 2 foot pan to fit. I'm still thinking about running it with oil.