PDA

View Full Version : Omafra

argohauler
04-16-2009, 07:00 AM
Come for a visit Tuesday. I was working in the bush when my wife got a call asking if we had any syrup. The person didn't identify themselves till they had the syrup in their hand. He took a half litre of amber and paid for it.

Brent you may know him as you have bees I assume. He's also a bee inspector.

They haven't been around in 2 years.

ennismaple
04-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Was it Todd Leuty - the guy who posts the weekly updates on their website? We've never had OMAFRA visit but have had federal inspectors come to buy syrup to sample the sugar content, colour and to certify that it's lead-free.

argohauler
04-16-2009, 10:23 AM
It was Collver Caverly. All OMAFRA agents around here are out of Guelph. The CFIA dealt with me only when I had failed.

Have they been out to you recently ennismaple?

ennismaple
04-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Not in a few years but never to our camp. All of the producers near us have received letters saying their samples had failed at one time or another - either for sugar or improper grading.

argohauler
04-16-2009, 10:50 AM
I failed on lead.

I was told they would come to select samples every year.

Though I've heard where producers have told them off or say they don't make syrup and OMAFRA hasn't done anything to them. I guess that's why this guy was being sort of sneaky.

ennismaple
04-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Ouch - Hopefully the CFIA program that allows you to get funding to replace old equipment comes back. Your situation is exactly why they've put money into the program. Good luck!

argohauler
04-16-2009, 11:08 AM
Well that program didn't exist for producers when I first failed. Only for food processors. By the time I found out that we were included it was too late. There was new money and they didn't know if it was for new applicants or for people already in the program. I didn't get my money. :cry: I've inquired about that program and it's done for.

Quebec I've heard on the other hand does everything for their producers.

Father & Son
04-16-2009, 12:16 PM
ennismaple,
You said "lead free" or is there an acceptable level.

Jim

ennismaple
04-16-2009, 03:45 PM
I believe their is an allowable parts per million because lead can come from the soil the trees grow in but I don't know what that number is. The principle source of lead in syrup is lead based solder but it can also come from galvanized steel and brass.

mtbguy
04-16-2009, 08:23 PM
I'm pretty sure it's .07 ppm. Atkinson's in Barrie will do private testing for I think $45.

argohauler
04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I hope it's not that low.

As far as I know it's still .5 PPM.

When I finally got my passing grade after 3 failures (.72, 2.0, .55) they said that there wasn't any lead detectable. If I had failed again I was in big do-do.

I've heard that in the states, it's .25. Is that true or is every state different?