PDA

View Full Version : 5/16 tubing drop line question

Peteyp426
04-14-2009, 05:39 PM
I run 2 - 3ft pieces of 5/16 tubing into plastic buckets. Some of the lines got mold in them, and I flushed them with hot water but the mold is still in them. What do I use to get the mold out? I really don't want to use bleach I do use a very very mild bleach with hot water to clean my buckets

maple flats
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
I use food grade hydrogen peroxide at the rate of 1 qt/100 gal water. I buy my peroxide in 15 gal drums which last me several years. I do not know of a source for small quantities. You should likely use clorox and water, then store the tubing in a clean container that nothing can get to. Rinse well after washing and again before use. You will be fine. The only problem is the salts left behind that squirrels smell and go after, if you don't leave the tubing out that should be able to be prevented. I used to use a new metal trash can, lined with a clean plastic bag and seal the top to the can with wide taps to keep insects out. Now I leave everything up in the woods, clean it in place with the peroxide and water AND compressed air for turbulance giving good cleaning action.

Haynes Forest Products
04-15-2009, 02:18 PM
Small pieces of tube like that you could run a wire in it and pull a small cotton ball thru with Clorox on it and it should shine again.

ibby458
04-19-2009, 06:28 AM
I do the same thing. (Buckets and tubing). The way I clean them is witha 4' section of straight brake line (3/16"). Cut one end off, remove the nuts. Find a 3/8" round soft brush. (I get mine from a dairy supply.) Cut off the ring end of the brush, insert stem in the open end of the tubing and crimp in place with electrical crimpers.

I soak the drops overnight in hot water, then chuck the brush into a cordless drill and spin it in and out until clean. 1 pass does most. You will need a helper to start the hoses on, and you will get wet, but it works great.

Flush with more hot water after, dry completely and store where the mud wasps can't get to them.