PDA

View Full Version : Last day

Jim Powell
04-14-2009, 08:53 AM
I’m pulling the taps today and starting to clean up. The sap never went buddy, but it has just quit flowing enough to mess with. I made a total of 9 batches, and probably a total of 35 gallons that is bulk stored and unfiltered. I’m letting it settle for a few days and then will start filtering into gallon jugs and other bottles for gifts. I found the sugar sand to be very fine this year and hard to filter.

We’ve decided to start the process to move to Texas, so if the plan holds this was my last year. I want to thank this forum that teaches so much, and special thanks to the guys on Riley Lake in Eden Prairie / Chanhassen. They have a very cool operation.

I’ll be posting all my equipment in the classified section. I’d prefer to find a local beginner who got the bug as bad as I did and has the ability to put out up to 50 taps. I put out 67 taps this year which may not have been too much for the rig to handle, but was well past my back’s limit!

Best regards to you all.

JCP

Jeff E
04-14-2009, 09:10 AM
Its a sad day to lose a syrup man!!

Best wishes to you on your journey.

Haynes Forest Products
04-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Jim If I can travel to Wisc from Denver you can do it. I would put it up in storage and take that vacation. Coming back we travel thru Min. and I love the small 2-5 acre stands of Maples on the top of hill with nice sunlight on all sides big crowns down hill on all sides. Good luck I hope you have stored up enough to last a few years. Now your going to become a Cowboys fan or they will run you back to the Purple people eaters.

RileySugarbush
04-14-2009, 09:56 AM
Jim,

I'm sorry to hear your are heading out of Minnesota. I enjoyed talking with you about your filtering ideas. That sample of strange flavored syrup you left with us has been a great conversation starter!

We had a wonderful season, with 6 sessions resulting in near 40 gallons, all pretty light. Only a few near disasters, even with the heavy niter this year.

Make sure and stop in if you are visiting from the south. We can always use a hand in the spring!

Best of luck from us all....

John, Dave, Bob and Eldon of Riley Sugarbush

lpakiz
04-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Jim, I will envy you next winter in Texas if we have another Wisconsin winter like this one was.
If you want to divest yourself of your filtering apparatus, let me know.

lpakiz@tds.net

Best of luck in your new location!!
Larry

mntapper
04-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Any body else have bear troubles? I had one get into some of my buckets this week
. It drank the sap and chewed up 5 5gallon pails.