PDA

View Full Version : evaporator question

shorty kuips
04-12-2009, 05:05 PM
We are new to this process, boiled over an open fire this year, loved the concept, want to expand to get a small hobby evaporator. under 100 taps, seen lots of pictures of evaporators, just wonder how the sap gets from one pan to the other. Pump?? Am unsure of how the process goes? Is there anyone with patience to explain to a newbie out there?

3 pots over 2, 45 gallon drums cut in half,
60 hours of boiling, 3" rain,
20 taps 4 gallons of syrup, still not discouraged!
shorty & dawger

Grade "A"
04-12-2009, 06:28 PM
on a drop flue there will be pipes and sometime valves that connects the pans. On a raised flue there is extra float box that connects the pans and controls the syrup level in the syrup pan.

brookledge
04-12-2009, 07:49 PM
As Matt said there is basicly two types of evaporators once you go up from a flat pan. Drop and raised flues create a tremendus amount of contact for the heat. You end up getting more heating surface in the flue pan than you could in two or three flat pans all hooked together. however you still need a flat pan to finish the syrup on. The two pans are conected together and as sap is evaporated the floats allow more to flow in to maintain the same level.
The pans have dividers in them to keep the entire pan from mixing together thus creating a continuous flow basicly like a maze. This will allow you to draw syrup off from one end while raw sap is coming in at the other.
Keith

Harken
04-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Hi Shorty...we use a 2'x4' flat pan with 2 dividers. Made the firebox from a used oil tank...quite a common setup. With a pre-heater pan dribbling sap in, we are able to run at least 15 gals sap/hr. We have 75 taps, so boiling time is not too long. Flue pans would definitely be better, but come at a higher cost.

Ken

Clan Delaney
04-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Shorty,

I'm moving this topic over to the Evaporator section where it will get more exposure.

The best answer I've ever read to why syrup flows through the pans was posted here (http://mapletrader.com/community/showpost.php?p=74024&postcount=2). See what you think.

PerryW
04-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Sap flow in evaporators.

A common question that is difficult to answer, but I'll take a stab at it ...

You evaporator is essentially a long narrow channel with the sap feed pipe at one end and the drawoff at the other end.

When you start boiling, the sap level in the entire pan starts dropping because of evaporation. This causes the float to let more new sap, which pushes the partially concentrated sap down the long channel.

Eventually, syrup will develop at the end of this long channel where is is drawn off the evaporator.

It's simply the fact that sap only can come in at one end of the long channel. Both the evaporation, and the periodic syrup drawoffs cause the flow.

Haynes Forest Products
04-13-2009, 12:59 AM
.................................................. ..bingo PerryW nailed it................................................ .........

KenWP
04-13-2009, 06:51 AM
And the more sap you have the longer you wish the channel was. Right now a mile would be nice.

Haynes Forest Products
04-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Or in my case the sap works its way down all the channel only to be turned into Charcoal in the finish pans.

Peteyp426
04-13-2009, 03:59 PM
A question for guys running a 3 x 10. Approx how many gallons of sap does it take to fill the evaporator to start boiling at the start of the season?

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-13-2009, 04:50 PM
Depends if it is a drop flue or raised flue 3x10??

Haynes Forest Products
04-13-2009, 06:21 PM
Im thinking in the 40 gallon range. I have a raised flue.The problem is I dont fill it and then not change the level. After the start up level I see how things are running and then tweak the levels. Are you worried that you wont have the sap amount to start?

Peteyp426
04-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Well I am going to have around 300 - 400 taps next year and I am really tinking on going with a 3x10 not 3x8 am going to the open houses at maple pro annd leader want to have a good idea on what to concentrate my search on when I go instead of looking at so many different sizes Raised flu is what I am looking at

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Pete,

If you are debating between 3x8 and 3x10, go with the 3x10. Will use significantly less wood and boil quite a bit faster. You won't regret it down the road.

shorty kuips
04-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys for all your input, it was very helpful. I appreciate your patience for a newbie. I guess we have alot of thinking to do before next season. I am looking for a second hand 2 X 4 for next season, I think that will be a good size to start with. Hey Haynes we've already made charcoal & didn't like that too much, stay up all night long just to ruin some pans. All in all it was a great first year, learned alot, still lots more to learn. I'm sure I'll have a ton more questions.

Shorty Kuips

Haynes Forest Products
04-15-2009, 05:11 PM
Shorty Thats not fair that you get to join the club so quick. I went thru the apprentice program first. 1) catch the syrup/candy as its ready to over flow the pans. 2) scorch one syrup pan and make a very light and flavorfull Carmel in the other. 3) Warp both pans and scrub and clean for hrs. 4) set fire to both so the flames are shooting up into the steam hood and black smoke is coming out the Coupla. 5) have to have them sandblasted with roadbase to see metal. 6) Beat them back into shape with a rubber mallet just to get them within 1/2" of level. So congrats on skipping a few and avoiding the others.