PDA

View Full Version : 2'x6' evaporator - 2' syrup pan vs. 3' syrup pan

RyanFarms
04-11-2009, 07:12 PM
Friends - sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I did search a while for the answer but with no luck. I am looking at the 2x6 setup and see an increasing trend for folks to go to a 3' syrup pan and a 3' flue pan. What is the advantage over the traditional 2' syrup vs. the 4' flue?

Flat47
04-11-2009, 07:27 PM
I'd go with the 4' flue pan for a better evaporation rate (more surface area with the extra foot of flues).

PARKER MAPLE
04-11-2009, 07:40 PM
This Is Also What Im Looking Into For The Fallowing Season. 2x4 Flu Pan And A 2x2 Front Pan.. I Have Just A 2x4 Flat Pan And The Evaperation Rate Right Know Its Great, The Problem Is Finishing It Off. With The Addition To A 2x2 Front Pan I Can Add Raised Flus To The Rear Pan Aand Add A Valve Between The Too, Should Have A Pretty Good Set Up If All Goes As Planed. P.ps Im Also Going To Make My Own Arch For Next Year, Going With The Angle Steel Approach.. Fired Bricked Lined And 10in Stack.. Wish Me Luck..

RyanFarms
04-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Makes sense, given the extra heat transfer surface area. I guess you'd have to factor in the extra firebox depth, which makes more heat energy in the 2x6 rig (at least that is the Leader arch design - gives you an extra foot or so of firebox). Also, I have been told that a shorter drop flue pan has less risk of a "wood impact" in a 2x6 arch.

I believe there is an evaporation rate difference - all things considered. Any defenders of the 3' syrup 3' flue pan design of an 2'x6' evaporator? I have yet to hear the real (economical) improvement over the 2' syrup 4' flue pan design.

PerryW
04-12-2009, 04:19 AM
If it's a drop flue setup, the smaller flue pan will make it less likely to damage the flues when throwing wood in it.

Otherwise, I can't think of an advantage except maybe it's cheaper to go with a smaller flue pan.

HHM-07
04-12-2009, 07:51 AM
I will be the first tp go with the 3 and 3, my reason with the 3 foot front pan you can have a valve between the 2 sections and you will have three phases to your boil back being sweet sap one front section sweeter the last would be syrup, that is the way i run my 2x4 2and2 when you draw your syrup the sap chasing the syrup is almost syrupso in 5-10 min you have another draw and they are larger, each time you are bring in almost syrup not sweet sap from the back pan , it makes for a more busy boil i am getting 18-20gph on my old woodfired 2x4 leader these are my thoughts, my brotherinlaw has a 2x6 with 2 foot front pan he gets small draws and a long boil between draws