PDA

View Full Version : pricing tubing

Ridgeland Farm
04-10-2009, 06:35 AM
Hey guys, new to the site but already have got so much info. Its great! As I have mentioned in the vaccum thread I am planning to start up a good size operation next year. So my next question is tubing. I have been told it is actually cheaper to run more mainline with fewer taps on your branch tubing than it is to run longer runs of 5/16 tubing. Can anyone explain how it is cheaper when 5/16 is like .11 to .12 a foot and mainline starts around .22 a foot for 1/2in. Is there cheaper mainline out there that I havent found yet? Thanks for the help guys.

Stefan

tuckermtn
04-10-2009, 07:01 AM
goodrich maple in Cabot Vt has some of the cheapest black mainline around...I think the 3/4" was around .15-.16 per foot- but call around- I think pipe prices should moderate as the price of oil has come down...

Russell Lampron
04-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I don't know about cheaper but keeping your lateral lines short and the tap count down gets you more sap. "Strive for five" is the thing to remember as in 5 taps per lateral. You will get better vacuum transfer with more mainlines and shorter laterals with fewer taps.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Leader has the 30p mainline on a good sale from 04/22 thru 05/23 and it costs a little more, but will more than pay for itself in sap quality over time.