PDA

View Full Version : Pan improvement idea

Clan Delaney
04-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Who had the day off of work to make a model arch and pan out of cracker boxes? I did.

The idea for this started over in this thread (http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?p=75096).

The first pic is my model arch. (Dang. That's one sweet arch, you might say.)

The next two pics are my revolutionary new pan. I call it (cue the kettle drums)... the Saddle Pan™.

The "legs" are large drop flues that act as the sides of your flue space when the pan is set into the arch, like so... (continued in next post due to image restrictions...)

Clan Delaney
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
The idea is that the large saddles™® would be directly using heat that would otherwise have been absorbed (however slowly and inefficiently) into the firebrick lining the sides of the flue space. Why heat bricks when you can heat sap? Like existing drop flues, the saddles™®© will increase your evaporating surface area. Double win! And you wouldn't need to use firebricks to line the outside of the saddles™®©℠ - since sap can't be heated to more than boiling temp, the outside surfaces of the saddles™®©℠:rolleyes: would only radiate a maximum 212°F - no more than your pans already do.

Now I just need to build it.

um.... volunteers?

:lol:

Haynes Forest Products
04-09-2009, 05:49 PM
How do I get the pictures they dont post

Clan Delaney
04-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I'm on it! Anyone else not able to see the images?

Grade "A"
04-09-2009, 06:13 PM
I can't see them ether.

birdmancf
04-09-2009, 06:43 PM
I just went to your album and saw them there.
Chris

Clan Delaney
04-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Can't figure it out, so I just attached the images. Let the revolution begin!

Fred Henderson
04-09-2009, 07:18 PM
I can see them, but, does heat not rise. 1 1/2" of ceramic fiber backing up the fire brick keeps the heat where you want it. Under the pan.

Clan Delaney
04-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Heat does rise, but not all of it. Heat also travels by radiation, and that's in all directions. Without dropping a heap load of physics (which I am not qualified to do) we know that heat is already trying to escape out the sides of your arch. That's why we brick it. The brick forces more heat upwards because heat, like electricity, wants to travel the path of least resistance and the stainless steel is 60 times more conductive to heat than firebrick. Firebrick doesn't prevent the flow of heat, it just makes it very very very hard. My idea just puts more stainless steel in place of the brick, and sap behind that stainless steel. Make that heat that wants to flow somewhere do some work instead of slowly heating bricks.

H. Walker
04-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Radiant heat travels to cold. What ever direction that may be.

KenWP
04-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Clan your dangerous when you have to much time on your hands. Come haul sap for me or chop wood into little peices if your bored.

3rdgen.maple
04-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Clan put some flues in that there cracker box and you will get more crackers out of it. I think you could be dangerous if you had a welder.:lol:

Grade "A"
04-10-2009, 05:07 AM
They say you can boil water in a paper cup, maybe you can boil with your model.:D

BarrelBoiler
04-10-2009, 05:46 AM
hey it's a waterjacketed boiler:D :D