PDA

View Full Version : sap ladder or sap lift tank?

orange county maple
04-09-2009, 07:24 AM
I'm trying to cross a road into my tanks. There is about 250taps that need to be lifted about 12' to make road passable with a tractor. Which way would be better for me to get the most vacum to those taps ladder or lifter tank?

Haynes Forest Products
04-09-2009, 08:40 AM
After sitting on the sidelines asking as many questions and at first wondering what a sap ladder was I reconfigured my 500 tap woods and moved the tank to top of the hill. I cut mainlines and installed 3 12 ft sap ladders into a 1" line and into the releaser. I had more sap this year than last and it was a hoot to watch so I would do it.

Jeff E
04-09-2009, 08:59 AM
I have had sap ladders work just fine. If sized properly. The old rule of 9 taps per 5/16th line is a good rule. I tried to cheat that a bit, about 120 taps going into one 6 line ladder. It couldnt keep up, so I added another 6 line ladder, and it works fine.

I have not seen the tank lifts working, and would need to as I dont understand how they keep lifting with equal vac on both the uphill and down hill side of the tank. I am sure they do, I just dont get it.

I am the sort that needs to understand 'the why' before I spend $.

ennismaple
04-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I'm lifting 100 taps on 2 spiders over one of my haul roads and it works great.