PDA

View Full Version : Did you have a good season?

Revi
04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
I think that this was a fairly average season, but we haven't had one in a while, so it seemed great to us. We made over 32 gallons of syrup, which is a record for us. More importantly we had a really good time. Great people came to visit, we had some fun and made some syrup.

I think we learned to love maple sugaring again.

tuckermtn
04-08-2009, 09:38 PM
yes- good season- lots of good visitors and late nights with boiling sodas, maple BS and a little politics thrown in...even got to listen to the sox on the radio a few times while boiling...sounds cliche, but it doesn't get any better than that in my book.

TapME
04-09-2009, 09:55 AM
not running here anymore so the season is done here. We did great even though we missed the first run. Our totals are 41-43gallons of syrup (wife and son gave some away that did not get counted), and we ran out of wood at the right time. This was more than we had hoped for so it is a great season for us. Looking to make some improvements for next year. Hope your season was as good as ours.

dano2840
04-09-2009, 10:30 AM
NOPE! Bad year here, terrable weather, usually by now ive just lost all the snow, this year i havent had any snow in the woods since march 5th, weather was crappy, too warm the last 2 weeks of march and first of april finally froze up the night before last maybe i can boil tonight, reds are budded in some places, ive maid 94 gal off of 600 taps, i talked to another sugar maker who has more taps and he is about 6-1 but he has vacuum, (he told me its not a great system either, there are leaks) but it was a short season and a bad one on top of that, but thats life, you get what you get and theres nothing i could have done, im happy either way, even if i only made 1 gal of syrup i would still be happy

tessiersfarm
04-12-2009, 04:40 PM
21 gallons from 120 taps I think it was a great year. I boiled 4 weeks and had fun the entire time. The new evaporator kept up without boiling all night and I had enough storage so I never had to boil just to keep up. Great year for us, already planning for next year.

Revi
04-29-2009, 08:09 PM
Great year until the post-season.

This year's motto was illegitimati non carborundum, and it proved to be an apt metaphor for the season.

The season was bracketed by incidents of serious vandalism.

We have the cops on it now.

dano2840
04-29-2009, 08:49 PM
NO

short and bad weather

RileySugarbush
04-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Yes! Best ever making 40 gallons of 115 taps. With great visitors and good friends.

KenWP
04-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Great season here by the end. it started out very slow wit it taking me a while to gather enough sap to boil the first time and then usually a week after that to gather 40 or 50 gallons of sap and then wham I was getting 80 gallons a day for a couple of days and then a dry spell and then the last 12 days I had to boil 15 hours a day just to keep up t othe slow days let alone the good days. I usually had 3 days worth of sap in storage at a time then.
Ended up with 20 gallons of dark and really dark and only a gallon of it was bad enough I labeled it for cooking as it smelled. Next year will have to be pretty good to beat my first year.

Haynes Forest Products
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Best ever even with all the stupid set backs (self inflicted) had a blast

Russell Lampron
04-30-2009, 05:39 AM
I had my best season to date this year. I collected more sap, more than twice as much, and made more syrup than ever before and didn't work no where near as hard to do it. The new systems that I had in place worked flawlessly and I managed to limp through the season with a pair of partly clogged membranes for my RO. I also had fewer taps than I had in years past. It is going to be hard to top this one.

gmcooper
04-30-2009, 10:01 PM
We ended up with our best season. Had fewer taps this year than past couple and still made more syrup. Need to increase boiling capacity before adding more taps.
Mark

TapME
05-01-2009, 10:30 AM
We ended up with the best season ever at 43 gallons of syrup on 210 taps. It was liked so much the expansions are in the works for next year. Only 16 gallons left, and that's a good thing.