PDA

View Full Version : Rusted buckets?

Tapmealot
04-08-2009, 08:33 PM
ok i have a bunch of buckets that i have in the woods but they are rusted. is there anything i can do to them to still be able to use them or is there nothing you can do to a rusted bucket thatl make it safe for sap?

Bucket Head
04-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I don't know what you could do to them to "save" them. Is it worth the trouble? There are lots of used buckets out there that are in great shape still.

I personally would'nt use them. I would'nt want a food product in them, and I really would'nt want someone to see me using them.

Stay on the safe side and look into replacing them.

Steve

maple flats
04-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Some guys on here have used bucket liners, a plastic bag made to line the bucket. In fact I bought a hundred one year but did not use any buckets after that. I still have the liners but do not know if they are still usable or if they would have become brittle or mouse chewed. I will try to remember to look tomorrow. Send me a private message if interested. If good I would let them go very reasonably.

Jerome
04-11-2009, 05:27 AM
Paint flowers on them and sell them as planters for 15 bucks, and buy new.

KenWP
04-11-2009, 08:05 AM
My buckets are all aluminum or plastic. I seen metal ones here for sale for a dollar all rusted out.

mapleman3
04-11-2009, 11:03 AM
I had some newer buckets that rusted up a touch on the bottom... hit them with the power washer and ALL the rust is gone, then dry them good and you should be alright.

if they are real old buckets, ya probably don't have a chance

sapman
04-11-2009, 10:15 PM
I bought like 1000 of the liners (minimum order).  They weren't the pleated ones, which may have worked better.  But I had a lot of trouble with sap getting between the bag and the bucket, which made everything a pain.  I think some of the bags just leak from the factory.  Anyhow, I will try to avoid using them in the future.Tim

ibby458
05-24-2009, 05:36 AM
I've had great luck with the bags as liners. Maybe I got thicker ones? I line every metal bucket we hang with no problems. Some of mine had holes and bad rust. The food grade plastic bags made them usable.

KenWP
05-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Who sells the plastic bag liners. I can buy a lot of rusted buckets cheap around here. The good ones are around also at a price.