PDA

View Full Version : Repairing Back Pan

Nick Stanley
12-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Hello all,
We've got a Leader with a back pan of 42" x 8'. The float flange at the back of the pan was hit and the solder joint partly broke. I was told by the company to use a soldering iron rather than a torch, but my question is, what solder and flux should I use in the repair? I have done all kinds of soldering in the past, but not on evaporators. I just wasn't sure what I should use. Thanks
-Nick

WF MASON
12-30-2004, 05:23 AM
Use a soldering iron either electric or heated by a torch , the tip should be 3/8''or bigger ,if the flange is bent , bend it back into place, heat the flange or fitting with the hot iron , not the pan, apply liquid flux made for stainless, use solder compatible for stainless,(soft or bar) this depends on your iron , how hot you can get your flange, a good big iron will eat up a 1'' bar of solder quick, if your iron is smaller , you'll have to heat your flange longer , and when you apply solder it'll cool the flange and the solder won't flow very far , so you'll have to keep heating it and applying the solder , if your using a small dia. soft solder 1/6''+- , you can twist several pieces togeather to make a larger dia. rod to solder with.
Good Luck.