PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of WF Mason vs Leader or Others?

justlookingon
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I am thinking about purchasing a small, hobby size evaporator for the 2010 season. I have looked at the Leader Half Pint and a hobby sized evaporator made by WF Mason. Are there other brands out there that I have yet to find? What are the pros and cons of each?

Also, what difference does it make to have a 3 compartment pan vs a 4 compartment?

Any input would be helpful-thanks!

Fred Henderson
04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
WF Mason will make you a good unit and stand behind his work. Most all the the big builder make a small unit like the half pint.

ebourassa
04-08-2009, 08:09 PM
wf mason make nice evaporter, he is very nice to deal with and has quailty stuff at a good price. I dont think you will find to much differences in the half pint but more looks than anything else.

Uncle Tucker
04-08-2009, 08:11 PM
The four compartment pan has the draw offs on the same end of the pan. Switching sides is usually just opening one valve and closing another. There is also less back mixing with a four compartment pan = lighter syrup but smaller draw offs. The three compartment pan has the draw offs on diagonal corners most people usually spin the pan to switch directions. They both make great syrup so you can’t go wrong either way.
Either evaporator I would have them put threaded ports for a thermometer near the draw offs.

Clan Delaney
04-08-2009, 08:46 PM
It's already been said, but if you buy a WF Mason, you'll be supporting a fellow Maple Trader member. That's a pro in my book.

Russell Lampron
04-09-2009, 05:36 AM
I would go with the WF Mason evaporator over the Patrick Paneauf. Most people on here have had problems with Patrick's stuff and the biggest problem of not getting their stuff when it was promised. Bill Mason has been building evaporators and making maple equipment for a long time and has a good reputation.

Dill
04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
How do Bill's drop tube evaporators work? I was looking at his flyer and wondering why none of the big companies went in this direction.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-09-2009, 08:21 AM
The biggest pro on Bill Mason is that I have never heard anything but positive about him and his equipment and prices, never anything negative.

Dave Puhl
04-09-2009, 08:36 AM
When I decided to make the jump I was going to buy a half pint...I am glad I bought a 2x6..ya its big money compared to a half pint...plan ahead ...what do you want out of your syrup production....Browns down the road got a half pint and the syrup pan has no dividers in it I think it should...and get an all stainless arch too...

justlookingon
04-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all of the insight on this. It's all new to me! Planning on retiring this summer and thought it would be a nice hobby as we have lots of sugar maple on the lot.

Fred Henderson
04-09-2009, 07:20 PM
You have better be careful. I retired a few ago with the same idea. I am now at 500 + taps and a 3x8.

ryan marquette
04-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Wow, planning on retiring in the summer congrats. I bought a canner from Bill this year & I am very happy with it. I also agree you realy need to evaluate,health,who is helping,money,how many trees you have,place to cook, to try to determine where you will be in a few years. It might save you money in the long run if you only buy one bigger rig rather than updating in a year. I cooked for too many years on a small setup. I could have tapped fewer trees but, ITS AN ADDICTION!!!!!!!!!

Dave Lister
04-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Dill,

I have a mason 2X4 evap with raised flu's. Not sure how that might compare to dropped tubes, but I love it.
This season after getting the evaporator up to temp, I got mine up to around 25 gallons per hour with dry pine that I split last august. Granted, it went back to 10-15 gph when I got into the pine I cut and split in november.... still kind of damp. Can't wait to see what it does this next season with pine slashings from a saw mill.
Tim

sbingham
04-09-2009, 08:40 PM
I guess my question is the same as Dill's, does anyone have one of Bill's Drop Tube Evaporators and how has the unit performed?
I emailed Bill several weeks ago and got a very prompt response, he sent it at like 2 AM in the morning.
I recieved his brochure and the 2x6 Drop Tube really has me thinking for 2010. The evaporation rates look fantastic for a small operation like mine.
I'd just like to hear from someone that has been using the unit for a year or two and get some feedback.
Everything I have read about Bill's work & equipment is very good.

KenWP
04-09-2009, 10:40 PM
I would like to know what a drop tube evaporator is also.

3rdgen.maple
04-09-2009, 11:46 PM
How does a drop tube allow sap to flow throughout the flue pan? Wouldn't it restrict the flow? Instead of being pushed through the flues to the syrup pan seems like it would just stay in the tubes. Please explain.

WF MASON
04-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Wow , haden't been here a a while , was shocked to see my name mentioned with Leader or Phaneuf , I have bought and resold from both and the quality from either is far superior to what I make,Thanks, but my work can't be compaired to either, theres no lazer cnc here , just a well worn path at the end of a welding bench. Some people have that engineering math skill built in , and some just get by like I do.
If you want the best equipment made, you've got four good choices to choose from and WF Mason isn't one of them.

Gary R
04-10-2009, 06:11 AM
I know a fellow trader here in NWPA that has one. He does not post though. I'm not sure if it is a WF Mason. It's a 2X4 and he likes it very much. Think of the flue pan as a dropped open pan. The flue gases actually go through the stainless tubes. Heat is radiated 360 degrees through the sap in the pan. It was last year when I saw it and can't remember if there was dividers to establish gradiant in the flue pan.

Russell Lampron
04-10-2009, 11:49 AM
Bill you're not giving yourself enough credit. Your pans my not be quite as pretty as the ones made by the big guys but they are every bit as functional and far superior to the ones made by GMB and Wes Fab.

In the 7 years that I have been on this site I can't remember ever seeing a complaint about you or your equipment. I can't say that about some of the competition.

Peteyp426
04-10-2009, 03:57 PM
I am looking for an evaporator and on ebay their is a 3x8 made by Patrick Phaneuf out of Quebec Canada are they any good. I have been looking at the Dallaire 3x8

Grade "A"
04-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Peteyp426, You should do a search under Patrick Phaneuf. There are many post about him. I am happy with my pans, but some others are not.

JohnsSugarShack
04-10-2009, 08:21 PM
I too am looking at a new evaporator. Don't know anything about the WF Masons but would be interested. I talked to Patrick on the phone before Christmas and he seems to be a very decent person, his prices are reasonable and I liked the looks of his equipment but I want to make sure I buy or try to make sure that I buy the right rig this time. I was told that if you buy from Patrick you won't be unhappy just allow time for delivery. I had a leader half pint which I was getting 5gph with but the nights got long after making 22 gal one year. I sold my half pint to my cousin so this year I made a couple gal on a dual propane burner. I'm going to leaders open house to look at their 2x6's leaning towards the drop flue any advise, opinions, etc would be appreciated. Hope everyones having a great season.

Dave Puhl
04-10-2009, 10:50 PM
One item I forgot to mention was the drain on your flue pan...on my 2x6 its a raised flue so in turn I can drain it very easy ...on drop flue are there drains or not..something to mull over...

3rdgen.maple
04-11-2009, 02:44 AM
Dave just a side note but I have a drop flue with a drain and It works great. I think all the new manufacturers have drains in there drop flues now. But I would ask to make sure and request one put in. They just come out the side of the arch with a screw in pipe and valve.

GANGGREEN
04-11-2009, 06:43 AM
I just received Bill's brochure and I'm very seriously considering buying one of his units. I'm torn between the 2X4 Hobby (I'll probably decide that it's not a big enough jump up from my Half Pint), the 2X4 drop tube and the 2X6 drop tube. The prices are good but I'm hoping to hear more feedback from folks that own one as well.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Bill is a very modest person and though I have never seen his work just pictures, from seeing tons of posts on here over the last 7 years about him and his products, everyone has always sung his praises. It may not be quite as pretty and shiny as one from a big manufacture, but the quality is probably as good or better and the price is definitely better and Bill is always just a phone call away.

gmcooper
04-11-2009, 06:55 AM
We had some WF Mason custom made stuff over the past several years and it was top quality all the way. Bill is a super guy to deal with and really takes pride in producing a good product. I have never heard one word negative about any of his products and there is a lot of it out there. Bill has been there for many a producer to help them save a season with emergency repairs on equipment from the big guys.
Mark

ronr
04-11-2009, 06:57 AM
WF Mason, do you have a web site?

RyanFarms
04-11-2009, 08:30 PM
I have a propane finisher (sn 107 I believe) from WF Mason and it is great. I also have bought other used equipment from WF Mason and would do business with him again in a heartbeat. Great customer service and exceptional stainless welding...

Mac
04-12-2009, 08:06 AM
First year with my W F Mason 2 x 3. Very Satisfied... I also had him make me a cover for the pan cause I am out side and I got a 12 x 20 finisher with a stand. Everthing was on time, and worked fantastic. I made 17 1/2 gallons. He is a "one man band" and works sunup to sundown..Many of us here can relate to that...
That's my 2% worth

concord maple
04-12-2009, 12:49 PM
anyone using a D&G 18" X 48". I've looked at the 1/2 pint and the Mason as well but still undecided.

Revi
04-12-2009, 01:26 PM
We have a Mason flat filter and we love it. It is much better than a cone filter and is stainless so it cleans nicely. We put it on wheels, so we can roll it out, filter and roll it under the table until we need the filtered syrup for finishing. No complaints.

caseman
04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
I've been boiling on a Mason for five years now and it's held up fine. Very practical equipment that works.

caseman
04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
I didn't see it when I posted.