PDA

View Full Version : Sugar in bottom of jars

12-29-2004, 12:02 PM
OK, I'm a newbee/hobbyist and I've been tapping some trees I have for 3 years now (25 - 30 taps). I boil it with a Leader 1/2 pint and finish it on the kitchen stove so I can control the heat. Last year I produced around 5-6 gallons for myself and friends so this wasn't a big deal, but I've always had the sugar sand collect in the bottom of my Mason jars that I can't filter. I've tried coffee filters, which run too slow, and cheesecloth, which really doesn't work well either. With the # of taps I have I obviously can't justify the expensive filtering equipment.

I've considered letting the syrup sit in the boiling container to let it settle out for a few days, pouring it out again (minus as much of the sugar as possible) and reheating to 180 degrees so the jars would seal. Seems like a lot of trouble. Just wondering if anyone has a better suggestion.

themapleking
12-29-2004, 05:23 PM
Try using a felt filter or a synthetic filter Hot syrup pours threw it faster than a felt.
If the sugar sand in the jars is black than it's sand-or niter. If it's the light in colour than your syrup is crystalized. You got the temp and denisty too high when it was boiling.

Al
12-29-2004, 06:02 PM
I agree with the maple king. I also started small and tried many different materials. None that worked like the felt or synthetic filter. I prefer the synthentic over the felt just becasue I can cut the synthetic filter to fit into my collender. There are many posts on here about filtering and filtering equipment (coffee pots) if you do a search on the subject.
One of the ways that helped me to finish on the stove was to have a thermometer right in the pan to try and get the correct temperature. I was always pulling it out of the pan and putting it back in. For some unknown reason. :? Also used the tired and true method of aproning or sheeting of the maple syrup off the spatula. Sort of miss finishing on the stove now thou. Boy it makes a house smell really good. :D

katmike
12-29-2004, 06:28 PM
I posted the original message; I guess I wasn't logged in properly.

I did break down and purchase a hydrometer last year, so if I assume it's calibrated properly I wouldn't think I'd got the density too high, although I'll admit the stuff at the bottom is probably crystalized because it is lighter in color. I never was real comfortable with the temperature method.

I will try the syntetic/felt filters. Thanks for your help. Being in Illinois at the "edge" of maple country, I don't get much local feedback.

Al
12-29-2004, 07:18 PM
That's one thing about this forum. You'll get feedback. :D When sugaring season starts make sure to keep us updated on your progress. Usually they have state sugaring catagories under the tapping forum so everyone can keep tabs on everyone else. It's great. :D I made 10 gallons last year and hope to improve on it this upcoming year.
Take care.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-29-2004, 08:10 PM
Mike,

Welcome to the trader. First time we have had any posts from IL to my knowledge. I am way down in WV and on the edge of syrup making down south. There is tons of info on here about filtering as Al stated, so look thru everything and you will find a ton of good info.

Brandon

gmcooper
12-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Definately go with the felt or synthetic filters but don't forget the prefilters. These are the thinner paper like filters that will clean the larger particles before the felt they will keep the filters from plugging up with coarser particles and they rinse clean with hot water. Keep a few on hand and when one gums up just grab a clean one. Wetting the filters with clean hot water makies filtering much faster. Carefully wring out the excess water before using . Don't forget to never wash filters with soap. If you do you will have a soapy taste in tour syrup after.
Good luck

12-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Speaking of prefilters, if you cut enough extra ones to lay into your filtering tank, when one plugs up you can pull it out and have a clean one underneath it to continue catching course particlues. That way your felt filter stays cleanner longer. Might help, can't hurt. :lol: :lol: :lol:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-01-2005, 08:25 PM
I usually start filtering in my 16x24 canning and filtering unit with one large flat synthetic filter on the bottom and at least 6 or more prefilters. As was stated in the previous post, as the top prefilter gets clogged, pull it out and then keep filtering. This way by the time you get to the bottom prefilter, the felt filter is usually clogged and needs replacing. This really works great, eliminates waste and keeps you from getting burned! :D

pegjam
01-02-2005, 06:36 AM
When I posted the idea about layering your prefilters I forgot to include that it doesn't work for cone prefilters, only flat ones. If you try to layer cone shaped ones your going to end up with a mess, probably get burnned, and be looking to strangle the person who give you that idea. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pegjam

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-02-2005, 02:43 PM
Pegjam,

I always did use several prefilters inside my cone filter, but I was always very careful. What you run into is that you get a clogged prefilter with a gallon of extremely hot syrup inside and you have to pick it up and dump it into the next prefitler. I usually used something like several spring loaded clothes pins on the top to hold the prefilters together. What I usually tried to do was to loosen all the sides of the clogged prefilter and then pick up one side and kinda let the other side fall down inside as the liquid rose up on and it would spill over into the next prefilter.

This is dangerous and you have to be careful, but it works very good and I have never gotten burned other than just a minor burn or two. I used this method for several years and it worked good for my cone filtering tank. :D One thing to remember is that the clogged prefilter is extremely hot and the sugarsand inside of it also. I usually tried to grab the bottom of the prefitler with a clothes pin to hold it. I also would hang the clogged one up over another container and let it drip for a while to get out as much syrup as possible. :D

powerdub
01-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Make sure you boil your new pre and synthetic or felt filters before you use them. They are treated at the factory with some kind of wax or something so they don't get damp and mold.