PDA

View Full Version : Leader Open House

CrossBroMaple
04-07-2009, 03:16 PM
i am thinking of making the 9 hour drive up to the open house this year...just wanted to hear from anyone who has been there for some tips about selling and buying equipment if i go

MainelyMaple
04-07-2009, 03:26 PM
When is the open house?

CrossBroMaple
04-07-2009, 03:39 PM
april 24th and 25th

MainelyMaple
04-07-2009, 03:44 PM
coming right up......thanks

Fred Henderson
04-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I went last year and was impressed at how much they put into it. There were company people on the floor to answer any questions one might have. They tubing process was operating and so was the tinsmiths. I never seen so much new and used equipment in one place.

Amber Gold
04-07-2009, 04:36 PM
Used equipment?? I may need to call them and see what they have.

KenWP
04-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Okay help a guy out what town and place are these open houses. Wish they had such things up here to go to.

Squaredeal
04-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Ken, They do. Both Lapierre and CDL-Dallaire have "Portes-Overtes" They too put on a good show. The ones they are talking about down here are in St. Albans at the maple festival. There's lot's to do and see. My family goes very year.

Hurdhaven Farm
04-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Leader Evaporator is located in Swanton,VT. The open house is held the same weekend as the Maple Festival, but that is in St.Albans. If you put Leader's address in any of the online map programs you will get good directions. The address is 49 Jonergin Dr., Swanton,VT. I plan to go on Friday the 24th. KenWP I am just across the Border from you if you want to carpool.

JohnsSugarShack
04-07-2009, 08:01 PM
CrossBroMaple, if you plan on going to the open house at Leader and need a motel room you'll want to make reservations soon they fill up quick. I'll be there Friday and Saturday. I reserved a room 2 days ago and it was the last one at that motel.

Bucket Head
04-07-2009, 09:06 PM
How much used equipment do they have at Leader? Do they always have a lot, or is it just this time of year and because of the open house?

I take it many people trade in evaporators for new ones?

Steve

Pete33Vt
04-08-2009, 03:55 AM
All of the major dealers have they open house that weekend. There is Leader and Lapierre in Swanton, CDL maple pro in St. Albans and don't forget Dominion Grimm in Fairfax. Its also maple festival weekend. If you can't find rooms in St.Albans, Colchester is only 15-20 mins away. All of the dealers have used equipment for sale along with great discounts.

Amber Gold
04-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Just spoke to Leader. For their open house they'll have seminars on making maple candy, sap producing, managing tubing, syrup markets, and special one on Friday about USDA grants. There's been some recent threads asking how to get them and this may answer your questions.

They do have some used equipment, but not much. They get pretty well cleaned out prior to the season as producers get last minutes supplies. He expects to get more as the old equipment gets brought in as trades.

Dill
04-08-2009, 08:29 AM
Does anyone here know people in the Leader management? The saturday before there is a huge auction literaly across the street, at Fourniers equipment That pulls in farmers from PA, OH, NY, New England and Canada. Probably 20% of which sugar. They aren't even letting us park trailers in Leader's parking lot now. But come on, why don't they open for a while that day. The auction lasts 10 hours, we all get bored, and would probably buy a bunch of stuff.

Pete33Vt
04-10-2009, 04:10 AM
Just got a flyer from Lapierre about the open house. One of the demos is being put on by the Maple Guys demonstrating the foot operated bottling valve. Would be a good chance to meet the founders of this site.

gmcooper
04-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Dill,
My dad goes to Rene's auction about every other year. I have no idea why Leader thinks their parking lot is sacred ground or something. They do not let anyone park there and I think dad said last year they had a security guard on duty. Seems odd as if they were open they would have business for sure and as you said many at the sale do make syrup.