PDA

View Full Version : How Long to Grow

backyardsugarer
12-28-2004, 09:16 AM
My wife got me a couple of 4' tall sugar maples for Christmas with the hopes that I could tap them some day. Given that I am 30 years old now I might make it that long if I take good care of myself. How fast do these maples grow? Is there anything I can do to help them along? I plan to plant them both near my sugar shack. I have already cleared 2 spots so they will get plenty of light.

Chris

forester1
12-28-2004, 03:09 PM
I would take a guess at about 50 years if everything goes good until tapping those. Maybe a little less. You could add fertilizer on the surface after the tree is planted, but not too much the first year. I would keep them mulched with leaves or spoiled hay to keep down the competition from grass or other surface vegetation. Keep the mulch away from the trunk a foot or so because sometimes mice or voles will take up residence in the mulch and chew on the trunk.

Parker
12-29-2004, 04:06 AM
Forester 1- 50 years??? you really think so?? Not that I know but I would guess more like 15 years depending on soil conditions,,light, ect....I have cut a lot of trees that were growing 1/2 inch a year,,,,,

forester1
12-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Parker you are right. I have seen sugar maple trees put on 1/2 inch in a year too. So it would be possible to get them to tappable size in 20 years. But that would depend on excellent soil, and full sunlight. Full sunlight may cause the tops to form acute branches which are weak points that may break and fail. Also they would need good rains every year in that 20 years, something I have never seen here with occaisional drought years. I was using 50 because that is what I see around here in the average wild tree that I cut that is 10 inches diameter at breast height. I count the rings on a lot of trees that I cut on my land and count some on timber sales to see what is going on. With good care it is possible to reduce that time for sure.

brookledge
12-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Usually the rule of thumb is that trees you plant are for your children or grand children to tap. Even if you began tapping at a smaller dia. say 8" with a small health spout or micro spout the sugar content will be low in a young tree so you are better to go looking for a mature tree to tap and not rush smaller trees. Trees that grow too fast sometimes will be weak and will split in ice or wind storm. One thing that will help is to know how to properly trim the tree as it grows to keep it growing strong. The last thing you want is to get it to 8" dia. and lose it in a ice storm.
Keith

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
01-01-2005, 07:29 AM
I know a red maple will reach a tappable size easyly 20 years.
I bought this 8 acre lot at the base of the Blue Mountain here in Pa.

It was logged off back in 1975, some of the tree's on the property are around 12-14 dia. Most of them are 10-101/2.

The bigger tree's are all on the edge of the property or very near it. So they do get more light.

Its all the growing cond that make it or brake it.

Charlie

backyardsugarer
01-07-2005, 12:50 PM
What io the best time of year to plant? I was thinking the middle/ end of April.

Chris

forester1
01-08-2005, 04:48 PM
April is fine Chris. As early in the spring as the ground can be worked is best. Fall is good too. I would mulch it as I said before and water it the first year. The roots need to get established before it can survive well without watering.