PDA

View Full Version : Bascom Open House

maple flats
04-06-2009, 05:27 PM
What is the date for Bascom's Open house for 2009? Is it the first weekend in May like last year?

chrisnjake9
04-06-2009, 06:48 PM
bascoms open house is may 1 and 2

maple flats
04-12-2009, 02:30 PM
I'm going, who else will be there. I'll be there Saturday only.
Dave

Russell Lampron
04-12-2009, 02:49 PM
I will be there on Saturday too.

maple maniac65
04-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I will be there first thing Saturday morning with the family. The boys like the unlimited Little Debbie snacks and soda

maple flats
04-13-2009, 07:26 AM
We need to come up with a way to recognise fellow Maple Traders. Some sort of name tag might be good, or to recognise me just look for an old, short, fat, bearded guy who looks like a lumber jack with a silly grin on his face. Name tags might be more definate identifiers. My description my fit too many others also. If we go name tags they should give our trader name and "Maple Trader"

Amber Gold
04-13-2009, 07:45 AM
I'll be there, probably Saturday. We should all wear the shirts that Eric had made up. Traders would be the only ones with the shirts.

Does anybody know what they're having for seminars?

chrisnjake9
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
ill be there saturday also hope to see fellow traders there

sapman
04-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I'll be there Friday, as usual for me. May stop in on Thursday, too, if I take syrup to sell.

Tim

Homestead Maple
04-13-2009, 08:56 PM
For the seminars, Steve Childs of the NY State Maple Extension will be talking on how to check the sugar invert in maple syrup to make maple candies.

Mike Farrell, Director of Uihlein Forestry at Cornell U., will show slides on common mistakes on setting up tubing systems and how to avoid them.

Dwayne Hill , former President of the NY Maple Assoc. and David Hill will demonstrate how to make maple candy, maple cream, and maple cotton candy.

Steve Childs will also do a presentation on the results of Cornell U's. research on tap hole sanitation, taphole closure, tree growth and the use of backyard RO machines and other topics.

Mike Farrell will give a power point presentation of his research showing the number of potential taps in 19 US states and factors that affect utilizing these taps for syrup production.

Michael Parker, sugar maker from West Chazy, NY will discuss the use of RO machines, the new Max flue pan, and Steamaway, as well as other ways to improve your energy efficiency in the sugar house.

Brad Presby, 5th generation sugar maker from Bethlehem, NH will cover basics of making maple syrup on a small scale. He will discuss sizing your evaporator pan, boiling, filtering, bottling, and using hydrometers and thermometers.

Seminars start at 9:30 am and continue through the day until 2:30 and are held in a heated building.

Hope that helps.

sapman
04-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Guess my state almost cornered the market on seminar presentations! That's a first. I'm disappointed that Tim Wilmot won't be there. I always enjoy his stuff. Sounds like a great schedule, though! Thanks!
Tim

Amber Gold
04-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Thanks HM. Just got the flyer in yesterday. It looks like Saturday will be the day.