PDA

View Full Version : question about use of coffee pot

steve J
12-27-2004, 06:53 AM
A couple months back I saw a discussion about the use of a 60 cup cofffee pot and my question is this. Bare with me this will be my first year useing a evaporator and to make it more interesting i have never even seen one in use lol. The question is when I draw off the syrup into the pot to be kept hot for bottleing do I put one of the wool filters inside the pot and allow the syrup to filter though as I am drawing it down when bottleing. Or do I filter it first then pour the syrup into the coffee pot? :?:

michaelh05478
12-27-2004, 09:01 AM
I'd filter into the coffe pot....it will filter better with hot syrup....then you'll be ready to bottle when you get enough..........Mike....

Al
12-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Here's what I do. Most of the time when I draw off I'm not completely finished. I have a turkey fryer finisher that I have a stainless steel collender that I put in the top with filter papers and filter. When I finish I have a coffee pot that also has a smaller collender in it that has the paper/filter in it just in case I've had to do alot of boiling to get the syrup the correct density. I then plug in the coffee pot check the temp of the syrup and bottle at between 180 and 190 degrees. Like Mike said it best to do it with hot syrup.
Hope this helps. Pictures of my outfit are in my personnel album.

katmike
02-09-2005, 05:06 PM
OK, I thought I'd also try the coffee pot idea for filtering so I got a hold of a 30-cup model, I think. At least it resembles the one that you have in your picture, Al. I did a test run with a small batch, no filter, just the center tube and the part that the coffee filter sits in. Now this one doesn't have any temperature adjustments on it so I just plugged it in and waited. I herd it begin to perk so I peek under the lid and observed a few drops coming up through the center tube but then nothing but smoke and that familiar smell of burnt sugar.... :( I actually cleaned it out and tried it a second time, same result. :oops: I know it was pretty hot, because I'd just removed from the stove, so it should have not had a chance to thicken.

What went wrong? I love the idea of using something like this to filter, but maybe I got a bum unit? I am thinking that something most be overpowering the syrup in the bottom and heating too fast, turning to "ash" before it has a chance to circulate more into the bottom. Just an idea. Any others? Mike

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-09-2005, 06:32 PM
post edited.

mapleman3
02-09-2005, 07:27 PM
don't use the tube!! no need for it, as kevin said check it with water first, I have one and it will hold a steady 190 deg... but put in hot syrup or you'll wait along time to heat up. but again just use it bare bones nothing in it but the syrup :D

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-13-2005, 06:56 AM
I got one of those 32 cup one's. The temp stays at only 176 degree's. Hope it still works for bottling?

I know when you take out the tube, you have a larg size hole in the bottom of the coffee maker. I poored water in that hole and turned it on, it cooked that water off in a few seconds.

I would suggest to poor a bunch of syrup before you turn it on. That way it cant burn any small amounts if thats what you are working with like me.

I plan to just filter and wait til I get enough to bottle before I ever turn it on. Ill just store the whole thing in the frig till then.

brookledge
02-13-2005, 11:06 AM
Slatebelt,
Just keep in mind that every jug company and the maple producers manual say that it has to be 180 or over but should not be over 200. May be 4 degrees won't hurt but you would not want to sell syrup to some one and have mold on top. May be some one else has used one that doesn't go up to 180 and could comment on whether it works for them. Personally I use 185 as a minimun and 200 for a max.
Keith

mapleman3
02-13-2005, 11:12 AM
Keith, just curious what happens over 200 deg?

brookledge
02-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Jim,
Every time you re-heat syrup and get it over 200 it gets a little darker. Its not a big deal but if your syrup is borderline of a grade it will probally drop to the next grade. It will still taste the same so its's not going to kill you it's just something to keep in mind. Also stack burn will do the same thing
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Charlie,

If it is at 176 degrees with water, it will likely be at least 180 with syrup due to the sugar content. :D

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-13-2005, 02:20 PM
post edited

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
02-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Also, over 200 degrees will make niter, and then it is important that you filter again.

Slatebelt*Pa*Tapper
02-13-2005, 08:17 PM
Thanks Guys.

Brandon, I will check it out with syrup and see what happens. If it dont Ill just go back to bottling the old way I was for now.

Charlie

mapleman3
02-13-2005, 09:33 PM
I know about stack burn, I never keep them together when cooling, as far as niter, if I can right out of the evap there should be no more niter, only a problem when you re-boil..

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-13-2005, 09:37 PM
post edited

mapleman3
02-13-2005, 09:39 PM
no silly, I mean if it's the correct density as I draw off and then filter into the canner and check density.. it's still hot as the dickins.. no reheating just adjusting density :wink:

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-13-2005, 09:42 PM
What post edited?

mapleman3
02-14-2005, 06:30 AM
like I said.. adjust, if it's the end of the day and no more syrup going in .. yes then finish to density, but if it's middle of the day, add a little heavy

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
02-14-2005, 07:40 AM
post edited.

mapleman3
02-14-2005, 01:29 PM
:wink: