PDA

View Full Version : Canadian crop

802maple
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
I have heard that the Federation in Quebec has estimated the crop for the season so far to be 90,000,000 lbs which translates out to about a quart per tap with atleast 2 more weeks to go. It is looking like a bumper crop up there.
There will be a meeting tomorrow in Quebec to see if this is indeed fact. I was told today by my boss if this indeed the case that the prices we will be paying will be lower than what we are paying today by the end of the week.
I don't want to cause panic but it isn't looking like there will be any 4 dollar a lb syrup this year.
All I am saying is that no one should have their head in the sand and not watching what is going on.

KenWP
04-06-2009, 03:48 PM
If you go by my hard maple trees there is no sign of buds on them yet and we are freezing up here this week. So the guys with vacuum should be cleaning up .I had a tiney run today and if they were under vacuum I am betting they would have produced well.

ennismaple
04-07-2009, 12:53 PM
It's an excellent year in Eastern Ontario so I assume it will be good in Quebec as well. Everyone I've talked to has a bumper crop and drums are hard or impossible to find.

Squaredeal
04-07-2009, 04:51 PM
We're at a high elevation in Northern Vermont and our season closely follows Quebec's. We have boiled since March 8th and still have quite a bit of snow and good weather on the way. With this and all the new taps put in up north, I've a pretty good idea that they're gonna make a boatload of syrup up there.

orange county maple
04-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Is it true Quebec sold a 5to10 year surplus there must be a market?

VtSugarhouse
04-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Qubec has no back log of syrup left. Even with a bumper crop 3 years in a row maple syrup will be in high demand. The worlds consumption is increasing faster than the production.

KenWP
04-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Well 4 poor crops in a row used up the surplus. They had stored the syrup in order to keep the prices constant and had to slowely use it up to keep the same amount on the market. In 2007 syrup was $36 bucks for a gallon at those road side farmers stalls. Last year is was close to $50. This year it is a bit more then $50.

Fred Henderson
04-07-2009, 07:18 PM
Then we could see syrup at 3.50 to 4.50 a pound this year. Only time will tell us for sure.

maple maniac65
04-08-2009, 06:32 AM
Bascom is selling NH syrup for $3.75 and buying for $2.90 for top grades and $2.50 for Commercial. Any thoughts on what this does for retail around here?

MainelyMaple
04-08-2009, 06:34 PM
For what its worth i talked with maine maple products who have 75,000 taps in northern maine and they are right at the same amount of syrup for the date this year as they were last year and last year was their worst year ever.

Maple Restoration
04-08-2009, 10:21 PM
From what I know most of the producers up here in northern Ontario are between 80 and 100% of their crop production and still two weeks two go, as for us we are 30% over last year. Sap has not ran here in two day's but it started at 4pm and I collected at 9pm and picked up 340 gallons of sap, we should be in good shape for the weekend!:)

PerryW
04-08-2009, 10:56 PM
At my location in northern NH, the sap ran today at my taps at 1200' elevation, but did not run much below that elevation (didn't freeze hard enough last night).

I am at 88% of a full crop right now and I'm guessing another a week of sugaring. Bored the holes 4 -1/2 weeks ago.

No peepers yet, although I've heard rumors that they are out.

No grade B yet, though the 2 gallons I took just took of were very-low Grade A Dark Amber.

ennismaple
04-09-2009, 09:48 AM
The peepers were out on Sunday evening but this cold snap should shut 'em up for a while! We'll be at 1 L per tap by the end of the day with hopefully much more to come over the weekend!

KenWP
04-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Well if everybody in Quebec has sap like I do today they would need tanker trucks to haul it. If the weekend keeps up as well I should make as much as I already did the first month of sugaring.

Jerome
04-09-2009, 08:09 PM
Here is what the Ontario Maple Production Agriphone has to say.
Although it is still too early to provide exact syrup production numbers across the province, many maple producers are reporting 75% of a crop up to 100% a normal crop of 1.1 litres syrup / tap this year. In each region, a few producers report they have surpassed 100% of a normal crop. Very few small areas, sporadically across the province report 30% to 50% of a normal syrup crop this year. Ottawa areas reported anywhere from 70 to 100% a normal crop so far with extra light, light and medium grades of syrup produced.

Preliminary reports from Quebec indicate Quebec maple producers are having a fairly good syrup production season so far for 2009 and many northern areas of Quebec continue to process new syrup. Not certain of the ‘price per pound’ yet that Quebec maple syrup buyers will set for maple.

New York and Vermont maple researchers report that as of April 6, late-area syrup producers continue to collect sap at higher elevations and northern U.S. regions continue to process new syrup, while southern U.S. maple regions are now ended their season. Many New York and Vermont maple producers report an average to above average syrup crop this year of mostly medium and dark grades of syrup, very little production of light grades reported.