PDA

View Full Version : Breaking stuff - again!

ennismaple
04-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Our list of stuff we've broken keeps getting longer! After breaking our gathering wagon twice (sway arm and main support beams) we managed to drop an 800 gallon Zero tank through the floor of the building it was in. Only the back legs dropped through the floor and once it was emptied we managed to get it lifted and propped up temporarily.

After firing for 15+ hours on Saturday we noticed a slight leak in our finishing pan just before we left for home. Stupidly, I put a pipe wrench on the pipe between the valve and pan to try to tighten it. The only thing that moved was the solder and syrup started to pour out of the pan! We drained the pan enough to get it off the arch and went home. Luckily my uncle stopped by as we were trying to fix it and he took over the repair job. We definitely wouldn't have gotten it done without his help.

It's never boring around our sugar camp!

Haynes Forest Products
04-06-2009, 12:03 PM
ennismaple: Sometimes I think I can turn the most simple basic THING and complicate it to the point its bound to break,fail or just plain blow up as I sit there and look at it. I had more sap run on the ground or finished syrup end up on the ceiling, walls or floor or on myself than I made the first 3 years............How does this happen....What was I thinking............how did that hose fall off that thing.......... I just dont understand sometimes why i cant just leave things the way they were.

You have my total sympathy and UNDERSTANDING

H. Walker
04-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Ennismaple you are like me, when things start going to well I look behind to see what I just screwed up and didn't notice!

nhmaple48
04-06-2009, 05:01 PM
If it was easy,everybody would do it!!!!!

Mac
04-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I had my share of screw up's...I used to cringe when I spilled sap... till I put my first Qt of Syrup on the floor... Put's thing in perspective!!! Also broke three hydrometers this year...they don't bounce well at all...Your not alone..
Can't wait till next season