PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Stupid Stupid

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Well just when things were running along at full blast Wife was back in Colorado and my main friend/helper was back home for a few days I did the unthinkable. I was just back from picking up sap and started the Evaporator up opened the coupla and sat a watched it get up to speed and went out to fill tanks and switch the transfer pump. Went back in things were working fine. Checked the fill tank, foam OK, 3 points away from syrup and all is well so I went out and washed out a tank when I smelled something burning.......................looked up at the coupla flue stack area on the outside no fire ran inside and looked up and no flames then I saw the two finish pans were fully on fire. Hit the switch and grabed the hose and started putting the flames out. After I scraped the 4" of black carbon crap from the bottom and sides I saw what I can only discribe as what looked like the bottom of a 10 year old 55 gallon burn barrel. The warping was 2-3" and the sides were pushed out 1" in areas. I dont think my 8 year old jumping up and down inside the pans could do that much damage.
I found what I can only describe as a hillbilly with a rock throwing sandblaster that was shooting sand 50 ft away and $50 later I was off to a friend who had a flat cement floor and a rubber mallet and we started by beating it from the bottom in and then putting them on the cement floor and beating them as flat as possible. I got them within 3/8 to 1/2 and scrubbed the round rubber marks out and went back to boiling.
It is unbelievable what I did to that set of pans and they still put out 100 gallons of syrup that sold at grade A price. I already put down $200 for my 2 new pans. STUPID STUPID STUPID. AS I WAS SPRAYING DOWN THE PANS I NOTICED THE CLOSED VALVE FROM THE FLUE PAN. I can say from experiance that Waterloo Small makes a hell of a set of pans.

KenWP
04-05-2009, 10:13 PM
All I can say Haynes is we missed you. They say that one should never leave the evaporator when things are almost there.

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2009, 10:53 PM
I have come to the conclusion that my wife is better at running the evap than me. She can sit and read and check it out, transfer sap, draw off, dump into finisher and switch transfer pump. Me Im just a multy tasking IDIOT.

michiganfarmer
04-06-2009, 07:06 AM
I have come to the conclusion that my wife is better at running the evap than me. She can sit and read and check it out, transfer sap, draw off, dump into finisher and switch transfer pump. Me Im just a multy tasking IDIOT.

LOL. I agree, men are just different. My wife has such a delicate way with our equipment. IM like a bull in a china store. I was just thinking about how different her and I operate in the saphouse

KenWP
04-06-2009, 07:26 AM
For my Keeper to run the evaporator I made her a stick with two lines on it. Top line is to make sure sap does not go higher then that and the bottom line is the absoloute lowest the sap can safely go. I can be gone for hours now and she even has a nice pile of wood ready for loading when I get back.