PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Tips for Tubing Instalation & Maintenance

PerryW
04-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Thought I start a thread for Sugarmakers to list their favorite tips for tubing installation & maintenance.

Okay, I'll Start:

I carry two rolls of surveyors flagging with me whenever I'm walking my lines. One blue and one fluorescent Pink. I use the blue flagging to help tighten up sagged lines, and for temporary repairs. I use the pink flagging to mark problems that I need to fix, but don't have the time to immediately fix (like downed trees on the line or broken connectors that have been temporarily fixed).

Much like duct tape, surveyor flagging is a multipurpose repair tool that works better than duct tape for many applications.

fixing flesh wounds (because it's NOT sticky you don't re-injure the wound when removing it.

flagging is UV resistant and will last longer than duct tape.

By using multiple loops of flagging, you can even temporarily hold up mainline with it.

You can use flagging like you would string for tieing thing together like attaching showshoes to your pack when you don't need them.

The uses are limitless!

Happy sugaring

danno
04-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I can't take credit for this - got the idea from a fellow Trader. Electrical tape is a great quick fix on the lines to fix those leaks made by pesky vermin and get the vacuum level back up.

brookledge
04-05-2009, 07:37 PM
I agree with the electrical tape. I don't go into the woods with out a roll in my pocket. And the good stuff not the cheapest roll you can find. The brand name types will work better and last longer in the cold. Many times I find nicks in the lines that I can't detect until the vac. is on and the tape works good and i will use it as a permanent repair.
Keith

maple sapper
04-05-2009, 10:10 PM
Any body installing a pipeline system and has not bought tools yet, owes it to themselves to get the inline two handled fitting installation tool. I am sure there is a fancy name for it. Its the best money spent. When you have a latteral so tight you can play a cnote on it. There is no way your going to fit a tee into it once you cut the line in half with out this tool.

another tip is to leave a good length of tubing and wire somewhere in the middle of the bush hanging up on a tree, in the event you need to make a quick fix, you got it without a super long walk. Hanging on the tree allows you to find it during snow season of course.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-07-2009, 08:57 PM
I agree with the 2 handed tubing tool and electrical tape. I like the "Duct" Brand electrical tape at Walmart the best and it is 52 cents @ roll.

Russell Lampron
04-08-2009, 05:31 AM
The 3 types of tape that I use the most are flagging, electrical and teflon. I keep a roll of each in my maple tool box. I do use duct tape on occasion but the other three are the most used.

Having the right tool for the job is as important in the woods as it is when I am doing my day job fixing cars. The one that I still need to get is the mainline tool and the 1 handed and 2 handed tubing tools are a must have.

wdchuck
04-08-2009, 05:39 AM
2 handed tool, tape, ditto. ..........I bought a big Husky brand carpenter's apron (Home Despot?) I can carry an assortment of fittings, tape, clippers, whatever and everything is comfortable to lug around and easy to reach.

Flat47
04-08-2009, 06:39 AM
I always carry a Leatherman multi-tool. In tubing repair applications, I can cut tubing, spread the opening with the needlenose pliers (so I can push it all back together by hand), twist new mianline ties, and on and on.

MaineSugarworks
04-15-2009, 07:56 PM
When working in deep powder, I learned the hard way to tie some flagging tape to any loose tools such as a mainline punch, cutters, wire tension gripping tool, etc. When you drop them you will still have a chance of finding them before spring!

maple sapper
04-15-2009, 09:47 PM
I just remembered another very important make life easy thing. I have a blue plastic kids sled. The style typical of the red ones they have made for years. I then put two clear plastic totes with the black split flip lids from HD in it. Then a roll of tubing fits width wise behind and one in front of sled to keep totes tight in sled. Then put tow rope on it and use it to carry all my fittings and ties, and valves etc. when im done I pull all my goodies to the next area. As well as wearing a tool belt. This just acts like a home base. It is quite amazing how the sled conforms to the uneven ground conditions, as well as packing down the snow to make walking easier if you ditch the snow shoes due to moving around alot in one area. I will post pic when I get a chance. Its on my phone so need to transfer it.

michiganfarmer
04-20-2009, 08:00 AM
High tensile wire is GOD