PDA

View Full Version : Pipeline Shrinkage

MapleChaser
04-05-2009, 06:45 AM
We are in the process of installing pipe line for next year. Mainline of 2200 feet of 2 inch, branch line of 1 inch 2000 feet and a whole bunch of 5/16. We will be useing class 100 black pipe. Installing all summer long. I was told not to tie any of the joints together where wye and ball valves will be because when cold weather comes it is going to shrink. Do all my connections when it gets cold. Any advice????

Mark
04-13-2009, 10:07 PM
The tubing will shrink about 4 inches per 100 feet when cold so do the connections when it is about 35 degrees.
I have a lot of 2 inch and will only use stainless fittings and I get the better clamps from Mcmaster Carr that you can torque them down without stripping them out. I even heat the tubing with a propane torch so the ridges on the fitting can bite in and I have not had any more problems.
I only use stainless fittings even on the 3/4 and 1 inch and finger grips everywhere. After your first cold winter you will learn, it is a bummer when you look into your pump shack and your extractor is pulled against the wall.
Really tie the big tubing to the cable if you make any turns or it will pull loose.
One advantage of getting the tubing on the cable in the summer is you can get it nice and straight when it is warm. Try unrolling the black 2 inch in the winter and you will know what I mean.