PDA

View Full Version : siro or plate filter?

Acer
04-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Never had a filter press, and was wondering if the new siro was the way to go or go with a plate filter press. Putting up some in glass so its has to look good.

Heading toward "low thousands" on #of taps.

Thanks,

Dean

H. Walker
04-04-2009, 09:30 AM
I bought the Siro filter last year and I would put my syrup up against any filter press syrup. I use a 5 micron prefilter and a 1 micron finish filter and NO filter aid. The 12" unit that I bought will filter aprox. 30 gal. without a filter change. To setup and change filters is 5 to 10 min. .

chrisnjake9
04-04-2009, 11:21 AM
what is a siro filter

Acer
04-04-2009, 12:54 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7234134349893537398

siro by lapierre

chrisnjake9
04-04-2009, 04:29 PM
are these units expensive and what is the advantages over press plates

jason grossman
04-04-2009, 04:47 PM
siro filtrs are the way to go!!! i have one and i may be getting another. i have had the same 3 filters for four years now. break down and back up takes all but five minutes! i can get them down here for 1600. probably cheaper the further north you go. but the are worth every penny. i would never go back to a plate press!!

tuckermtn
04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
watched the other video from lapierrer...in it they mention the new hobby 500 releaser- the video claims - "Finally a reliable releaser designed for the small producer". I would disagree with the "reliable" claim...though I will give them credit for taking them back with a full refund...

chrisnjake9
04-05-2009, 12:44 PM
what were the problems with hobby releaser

maplekid
04-05-2009, 06:07 PM
could somebody post pics of how the siro filter works. mabe a diagram. i woud like to try and make my own

Maplewalnut
04-05-2009, 07:03 PM
I second the comment by TuckerMT on the hobby releaser. Nothing but trouble this year. The biggest reason why I order everything I can through Maple Guys...they will make it right. Old saying...don't ever buy a first year car! or anything else for that matter until the bugs are worked out.

Acer
04-05-2009, 08:09 PM
I asked around, its a wes fab for me.

D

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2009, 09:26 PM
I watched the video and Im happy with my plate filter and I can clean out the press in less than 5 min. A fellow producer cleans his 8 plate press in 5 gallons of hot water off the prefilter. The papers are cheap and with only 3 plates I can filter 15 gallons of dirty syrup and I dont HAVE to let thing heat up its cristal clear right out of the press as soon as you start it up.

michiganfarmer
04-06-2009, 07:13 AM
Like haynes, I watched the video, and I too am happy with my wes fab plate filter press...now that I have figured out how much filter aid to add, and when.

NH Maplemaker
04-06-2009, 07:46 AM
For awhile now I have been saying that I wanted to up grade to siro filter. But after seeing the video I don't think it is an upgrade!, All that recirculating, plus you must have five gal to evan filter. Who has time for all that? Not me. Jim L.

H. Walker
04-06-2009, 08:06 AM
I just watched the video and I have a lot of problems with the video.
1. you don't have to circulate for 2 min. just untill it's clear maybe 30 sec.
2. the pressure that it runs at is a up to 75 psi not 40
3. no filter aid at all
4. I run a 5 micron filter on top of the 1 micron filter so you don't have to do a complete tear-down. you just replace the pre filter and back in business.
5. If you tip the cylinder up side down over the filter tank before disasembly all of the unfiltered syrup goes back into the tank and not all over every thing like they did.

Haynes Forest Products
04-06-2009, 09:43 AM
I watched the video again and Im even happier with the plate filter. Watching other producers and how they run their sugar houses was a great help this year. most filters from the draw of tank to the finisher and then when full they filterd into the bottler and bottled. I only filter from the finish pan to the bottler or into bulk containers.
If I run my press and use 10 cups of filter aid for 30 gallons (its cheap) and I run till my guage pegs at 100 and just let the press cool for about 1/2 hr as it drains into the ketch pan I dont lose any syrup. I can then take the press apart and pull off the filters and knock all the crap out of the plates and if I wanted to I could just put it back together and get back to filtering.
Now if I wanted to I could be a real cheap bastard and reuse the filters and no one would know $12 for 100 filters is cheap. Its not the filters that plug its the filter aid and sugar sand that plugs up against them that causes them to stop filtering.

H. Walker
04-06-2009, 02:29 PM
I just watched the video and I have a lot of problems with the video.
1. you don't have to circulate for 2 min. just untill it's clear maybe 30 sec.
2. the pressure that it runs at is a up to 75 psi not 40
3. no filter aid at all
4. I run a 5 micron filter on top of the 1 micron filter so you don't have to do a complete tear-down. you just replace the pre filter and back in business.
5. If you tip the cylinder up side down over the filter tank before disasembly all of the unfiltered syrup goes back into the tank and not all over every thing like they did. I forgot to mention that they are using the 24" filter which is for guys making 50 + gallons in a day which would be like using a full bank 10" filter press. Lapierre also make a 12" filter for smaller producers that only takes a couple of gallons to start.

caseyssugarshack93
04-06-2009, 05:37 PM
i dont know nothing about filter systems but i know all the big operations around here have PLATE filter presses i dont know why or whats the differnce

michiganfarmer
04-07-2009, 05:14 AM
Now if I wanted to I could be a real cheap bastard and reuse the filters and no one would know $12 for 100 filters is cheap. Its not the filters that plug its the filter aid and sugar sand that plugs up against them that causes them to stop filtering.

I AM a cheap bastard. That is a good idea

DS Maple
04-07-2009, 09:11 AM
I just talked to someone the other day who was saying they would buy the Siro filter if/when they replace their filter press. After seeing all that recirculating and stuff though, I personally like the press better. I don't even think it takes 5 minutes to set up a full stack on the filter press, plus I can vary the number of plates depending on how much syrup I plan on making that day. If I only have a tiny bit of sap, I put fewer plates on, thus using fewer papers and DE. Not sure what could be easier.

Haynes Forest Products
04-07-2009, 10:32 AM
Plus if you look at the video i would have that pressure hose splitting like a cheap garden hose. I did have a nice SS cover made for my press that covers the plates that sits over them because I have a habit of getting every drop thru it before the guage is peged and I didnt like the showers. The shield covers the top sides and the angles under into the catch tray so any syrup that squeeks thru ends up in the tray.

michiganfarmer
04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Plus if you look at the video i would have that pressure hose splitting like a cheap garden hose. I did have a nice SS cover made for my press that covers the plates that sits over them because I have a habit of getting every drop thru it before the guage is peged and I didnt like the showers. The shield covers the top sides and the angles under into the catch tray so any syrup that squeeks thru ends up in the tray.

cheap bastard, LOL