PDA

View Full Version : oil mist on ground

white mt
04-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I need a way to contain the oil mist from my vac pump.I have a osr 20 oil cooled vac pump that vents outside my pump house , but the oil mist can get on the ground . Any easy fix ? thanks .Some thing I could connect to the end of the vent pipe to cach the mist but sill let it vent the hot air.

sapsick
04-03-2009, 07:01 PM
put a canister of some sort on the vent and fill it with steel wool. this should help. they use this method on some types of air compressors.

brookledge
04-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Just be careful that you don't restict the flow. Other options would be to use some type of absorbent like spedi dry or pads but hey would need to be out of the rain. They do make pads that only absorb oil and water will not be absorbed. I have seen those type you could lay them on the ground and pick them up as needed. Even pumps with oil reclaimers still end up blowing some mist out.
Keith

Russell Lampron
04-05-2009, 06:02 AM
Dan build a reclaimer tank. Use a tank about the size of a 15 gallon beer keg. Put the exhaust pipe in the side about 3/4 of the way up from the bottom have it exit about 90 degrees away about 3 inches from the top. Put a drain at the bottom of the tank to drain out the oil that collects in it. Use pipe the same size or larger than the exhaust pipe that it has now. PVC pipe works good.

Are you liking the vacuum? I was sold on it the first season that I had it. Then again it was the same way with the steamhood, RO, blower and now the filter press.

white mt
04-05-2009, 08:19 PM
HI RUSS THANKS FOR THE INFO ON THE OIL RECLAMER.THE VAC IS THE BEST MONEY i HAVE SPENT ON MAPLE TO DATE .iT IS ALL THEY SAID IT WOULD BE RAN OUT OF WOOD 60 GAL LAST YEAR OF SYRUP, THIS YEAR ABOUT 175.DAN

Haynes Forest Products
04-05-2009, 09:19 PM
To make a cheap releaser you need to have the oil slow down in a container so it has a chance to stick to something. Blowing the exhaust into a drum with the course type fiberglass insulation will stop alot of the airborne mist. My Coalesing filter type reclaimer reduses the oil mist from my flood vac pump down to about 5% mist.

danno
04-06-2009, 01:20 PM
For those without closed reclaimer systems, I was once told not to re-use the oil. I run an old dairy pump with an exhaust that fills up an old coffee can once every couple of days. Can I pour the oil from the exhaust back into the pump without damaging it? Oil looks clean but I assume it has alot of moisture in it.

Haynes Forest Products
04-06-2009, 03:02 PM
you can reuse the oil if it had moisture in it it would be all frothey and white and over time the water would seperate. On my unit the oil goes into the reclaimer and then back to the pump in 30 seconds