PDA

View Full Version : anchor forks

MahoskyBrosMapleFarm
04-03-2009, 05:10 PM
when you guys get to the end of a 5/16" lateral what type of fittings or spouts do you use to keep the lateral tight, i dont know exactly what to do, i know that your supposed to use a piece of 5/16" and wrap around the tree to keep the line tight, but i need a good explanation of this if someone could help that would be great

brookledge
04-04-2009, 06:30 AM
I use the IPL end line hook with plug. The reason I use that style is there are some of my laterals that I have to take down and they just simply unhook to do so. However the Leader end line ring will work also except it is a permanent connection.
With either one the sap from the last tap goes through and there is no dead spot to have sap sit and rot.
Keith

jason grossman
04-04-2009, 04:51 PM
i use the end line hooks with plugs from ipl also. they are easy to use and if you have to do some work they come down and go up fast!

H. Walker
04-05-2009, 09:11 AM
I use the IPL end line hook with plug. The reason I use that style is there are some of my laterals that I have to take down and they just simply unhook to do so. However the Leader end line ring will work also except it is a permanent connection.
With either one the sap from the last tap goes through and there is no dead spot to have sap sit and rot.
Keith

Yes, and I like the fact that the tubing that goes around the tree I can use a old or short piece of tubing and not have to use some off that $75 roll on trailer.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-05-2009, 03:55 PM
Just curious if some has some closeup pics of these IPL end line hooks installed. Guess I am stupid, but I haven't seen one in person and they are confusing on how they would work from the pics I have seen in a catalog. I used the Leader ones a few years ago and took them all out and threw them away and hated them as a lot of my end trees are huge and too much dead space for sap to lay in and spoil.

danno
04-05-2009, 06:24 PM
["too much dead space for sap to lay in and spoil.[/QUOTE]"

And is is where I have most of my squirrel problem - on the section tube that wraps the tree. So, I don't want the tube around the tree on line.

brookledge
04-05-2009, 07:31 PM
Danno
If you don't want the tubing to wrap around the tree then either use a nail to hold the tee to the tree or better yet use hollow core nylon rope and go around the tree and secure the 5/16 that way. Do you know how to use hollow core nylon? If not I'll explain.
I know what you mean about increasing the odds of rodent damage but when you have a large tree that warrants two or more taps you need to space the taps out anyways.
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-07-2009, 08:55 PM
If it is the end tree where the lateral starts you are having squirrel problems with, use a "Y Fork" and if they chew on the tubing around the tree, it won't hurt anything because it is seperate from the lateral line that has sap in it.