PDA

View Full Version : filling bulk jugs

ackerman75
04-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Hey guys, I'm packing bulk in the five gallon jugs and I filter and bottle with a 100 cup coffee urn, my batches average about 2 1/2 gallons so I only fill the jug half and the next batch I finish filling. So these five gallon jugs are not really hot packed to seal them. I am storing them in a chest freezer unti I sell them, is this ok ? Do the bulk buyers empty the jugs when you sell them and give jug back, also do they also grade them or do I and I'm sure they must check with a hydrometer to make sure it's ok. As you can tell this is my first year selling bulk and I should have about 50 gallons to bulk sell.
Thanks for any info you guys can share.

802maple
04-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Let me answer your questions.
If you can put in a freezer there is no better way to store it.
Yes we do grade it for color and flavor.
As far as checking with a hydrometer we do not check it much unless it sends up a red flag. Such as tasting of low density, if it seems like it is low density when it is being graded or if it doesn't weigh up to what it should. We are not concerned if it is to heavy for reasons I am sure will be explained later in this post

Clan Delaney
04-03-2009, 06:51 AM
Shot in the dark here.... Cuz if it's heavy, yer giving away your sugar?

PerryW
04-03-2009, 08:18 AM
So these five gallon jugs are not really hot packed to seal them. I am storing them in a chest freezer unti I sell them, is this ok ?
I put everything in 5 gallon drums right off the evaporator/filter-canner. If I start with an empty drum and fill it within 2 hours of so; I label the drum HOT. WHile it is not technically at 180 degrees; I never have problems with mold or fermentation just storing it in my cellar. However; I would NOT sell these drums to retail customers; only for bulk syrup sales.

If I end up filling a drum over multiple days; I label the drum COLD and I use the COLD drums first when canning up syrup into smaller sizes.

Do the bulk buyers empty the jugs when you sell them and give jug back,

Bascoms will give you your 5-gal drum back; or someone elses similar drum)

also do they also grade them or do I and I'm sure they must check with a hydrometer to make sure it's ok. As you can tell this is my first year selling bulk and I should have about 50 gallons to bulk sell.

They will check the density & grade and let you know if you if there is a problem

Dennis H.
04-03-2009, 06:27 PM
so these bulk buying people don't have a minimun amount?

The way I understand it is I can drop off a 5gal drum and that would be ok?

brookledge
04-04-2009, 06:50 AM
The one thing that most bulk buyers try to shy away from is syrup in less than 5 gal containers. I have seen producers bring in syrup in 1/2 gal and 1 gal containers and just chuckle to myself. As for the cost the 5 gal plastic is about the same as 5 one gal jugs.
Otherwise most don't care if you bring in 5 gal or 500 gal
Keith

802maple
04-04-2009, 07:34 AM
We would prefer that syrup doesn't come in 5 gallon jugs, but if that is all you have we will make acceptions. For us a 5 gallon jug is harder to handle then a 55 gallon drum. We first have to handle them all by hand, For every 5 gallon container we have to do as much paper work as we do for a 55 gallon drum and there is a lot of paperwork by the time it gets to a batch.

We honestly rather handle a partial full barrel then to handle a 5 gallon container, I usually have barrels so when a bunch of 5 gallon containers come to me we immediately put it in a drum and then I take them to the wharehouse.