PDA

View Full Version : looking for a thread about sap price

michiganfarmer
04-02-2009, 07:15 AM
I saw someone say that the price they pay for sap is 1/2 the price of bulk syrup. I dont understand this. If bulk syrup is $2.25 a pound, then half that is $1.125, and paying $1.125 a pound for sap is crazy.

Im sure Im missing something. Can someone explain what it means to pay half of bulk price for sap?

PerryW
04-02-2009, 09:54 AM
Used to be 2% was 20 cents a gallon and 2.5% was 25 cents a gallon, but that was a few years ago.

But I heard Sap's going for 30 cents a gallon around here now.

DS Maple
04-02-2009, 10:00 AM
The prices are generally printed in the Maple Syrup Digest, but unfortunately I don't have an up-to-date copy. If anyone does they should be able to find the prices easily, (and maybe post them.)

markcasper
04-02-2009, 04:21 PM
For clarity on the "half the bulk price" Sell the finished product in bulk, figure out how many gallons of sap it took to make that pound or gallon. The sap producer would then recieve half of that based on the number of gallons and sugar percentage.

Example: 40 gallons to make a gallon of syrup.

With syrup at 3 dollars a pound x 11 pounds in a gallon, that would equal $33.

I give the sap supplier half or 16.50 per gallon syrup equiwlent 16.50 divided by 40 gallons equals ?????? per gallon of sap

Clan Delaney
04-02-2009, 06:10 PM
For clarity on the "half the bulk price" Sell the finished product in bulk, figure out how many gallons of sap it took to make that pound or gallon. The sap producer would then recieve half of that based on the number of gallons and sugar percentage.

Example: 40 gallons to make a gallon of syrup.

With syrup at 3 dollars a pound x 11 pounds in a gallon, that would equal $33.

I give the sap supplier half or 16.50 per gallon syrup equiwlent 16.50 divided by 40 gallons equals ?????? per gallon of sap

That example would make the sap worth $0.4125 per gallon. That's close to the sap prices listed here (http://www.wismaple.org/sap_guide.htm).

Here's how DaveB and I did business this year. Each time he made a pickup we recorded the gallons and sap sugar percentage. I then used those prices I linked to to put a value on the sap. Since those prices are for sap delivered to the sugar house, and Dave was coming to me to pick up, we agreed to subtract his fuel costs (rounded up) for each trip. At the end of the season we add up all values from each pickup, subtract the total fuel costs and that's what I'd be owed for the sap. Just some math and record keeping.

fred
04-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Pat Out Of Couriosity What Did It Average Per Gal For You Guys

Clan Delaney
04-02-2009, 10:02 PM
It looks to be about .45 per gallon.