PDA

View Full Version : Season's over here near Saratoga

Mapleridge
04-01-2009, 06:14 AM
The weather really warmed up, the trees are budding and we pulled the taps Sunday. It seams early this year. Our last run was a good one, good tasting dark amber syrup, but no more freeze temps in sight for the next 6 days and the warm days will turn the sap.We had a good season and it is always lots of fun. We cleaned the pan using lemmon juice , apple cider vinegar and water, boil the mix in the pan and rinse. The pan really shines like new. Tonight we brush the buckets and flush the tubes.
Hope all had a great season.

gerald1792
02-16-2010, 08:41 PM
Also in Charlton, I started taping today and need more taps. Do you know a local places to buy, Agway is out.

Mark

3rdgen.maple
02-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Okay I thought someone was nuts here when I read the title of this post, then I seen the date it was posted:D gerald if you call one of the suppliers like Bascoms and put your order in for taps you will get them the next day even with ground shipping. Just call early enough for them to get them out. Bascoms is only a 1 day ground delivery for use NY'ers.

Mapleridge
02-17-2010, 05:09 AM
No, we don't have magical warm weather here on own ridge. But the temps are warming and we are thinking about tapping in the next 2 weeks. We usually tap in late Feb. Yesterday we got our first real snow since Dec, and have only 5-6" on the ground. Maybe the ground will thaw early this year. The season is coming and we're ready.

stoweski
02-17-2010, 06:39 AM
On vacation this week but returning on the 20th to start my tapping in Altamont. I may miss some later this week but this is the best weekend I have to put in the taps.

red maples
02-17-2010, 08:15 AM
I did the same thing was saying to myself man I am just getting started here and this guys pulling his taps already??? :lol:

Mapleridge
02-18-2010, 05:08 AM
Hello Mark,
We get all our supplies from Leader Evaporator ( 802-868-5444) in Vt or Bascom in NH. Leaders is very prompt in shipping, even this time of year. We have ordered in the am and the box is UPS here the next afternoon.
So you are in Charlton? We are on Jockey St and ready to tap this Sat.

Mapleridge
02-18-2010, 05:45 AM
For some reason my old post from 4/1/2009 has reposted the last 2 days. Sorry about any confusion. I have NO idea why this is happening. I have posted in the "Sugar Inn" section to MapleTrader Ad. that this is occurring, so hopefully the problem will be corrected and my old posts won't be littering the site. Mean while let's get the season started! :-)

red maples
02-18-2010, 08:39 AM
gerald1792 asked you a question!!! he was the one that revived this thread

ksnorton
02-18-2010, 05:51 PM
we will start on monday hopefully by next sunday we will be done tapping at least

Mapleridge
02-20-2010, 06:59 AM
Mark, After going thru our stuff we found that we have about 100 9/16 plastic taps, that are used with tubes, that we don't use or need and would sell really cheap. We switched to 7/16 taps last year- forgot that. If interested just post here, or we are the Somers on Jockey St in Charlton, give us a call.

Wanabe1972
03-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Mapleridge, are you getting any runs yet? Im a little north of you in Corinth and have not had much of a run as of yet. Had about 4 days after the snow storm with no good freezes and now its been windy and cool. Its 24 here now and supposed to sunny and 46 tomarrow. Went and checked the bush after work today and had about 30 gallons today out of 126 taps in one bush. I also noticed that all my laterals were empty tonight and they have been full and heavy all week. Well maybe this is a sign this weekend will kick us off. At any rate Im sugaring the pans Sunday because I should have 100 or so gallons from all my 300 taps.

Mapleridge
03-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Last night, first time in a week, we had cold, 21*, temps and today is to warm up to 40s. So we should get a really good run. Atleast some of our 2' of snow has melted so going from tree to tree will be easier. The weatherman says cold tonight and then lows back up into the 30s next week. And what a difference a couple degrees make! Good luck and great sugaring....

beechsap
03-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Getting some off of the few taps I managed to get out thus far. I'm just outside of Broadalbin, on the Sacandaga. My goal is to tap 20-30 today and watch it flow!

maple flats
03-06-2010, 06:55 PM
I put in a furnace at a log home on Horse Hill Rd, along the East side of Broadalbin about 16-18 yrs ago.

Wanabe1972
03-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Must be the little talking I gave my trees last night helped. I had my first decent run of the season looks like nearly a gallon per tap. My wife picked up a new gas pump for me today so I didnt have to deal with a sump pump and generator. Well Ill collect at 6:00 am while the mud is still hard and start the 2010 season FINALLY. Probably everyone got a good run today so good luck to all.:D

beechsap
03-07-2010, 07:46 AM
I only managed to get 6 taps out yesterday before I was scheduled to take my Daughter skiing, but I got 5 gal. when I checked about 6pm.:)
Lots to do today!

beechsap
03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
I put in a furnace at a log home on Horse Hill Rd, along the East side of Broadalbin about 16-18 yrs ago.

That's about 10 miles up the Lake from here. Lots of nice little backyard sugar operations up there!