PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever extend their arch?

heus
03-31-2009, 08:52 PM
I have a 2x4 pro hobby on order with Patrick Phaneuf. In the future, how hard would it be to extend the back of the arch to accomodate a 2x6 flat pan?

Bucket Head
03-31-2009, 09:43 PM
I don't know what the arch looks like or what its made of, but if you have or have access to torches and a welder it should'nt be a big deal.

You can do anything you want with those tools.

Steve

3rdgen.maple
04-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Don't think it would be hard at all but if you are already thinking of expanding maybe make a call to patrick and order the 2x6 right out of the gate. I think it would void warranty on the arch. Does the 2x4 you ordered have a flue pan? If it does I don't think adding a flat pan would not be worth the aggrevation for the limited amount of gph you would increase. If it is a flat pan Find out if he would make you a 2x4 with a 2 foot syrup pan and a 2 foot flue pan your gonna get a whole lot more out of that than a flat pan and may not need to extend the arch. But like I said if you are already talking expansion I would consider making a change to a 2x6

3rdgen.maple
04-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Okay went to his website it looks like you are getting the flat pan. Maybe call him and order a 2x6 arch and cover the last 2 feet with metal for future expansion. Then you could sell that pan get a 2x4 flue pan and a 2x2 syrup pan, or like you say just add another flat pan,push that one to the back and add a 2 foot syrup pan in the front. Option 2 get him to build you a 2 foot syrup pan and a 2 foot flue pan on the 2x4 arch you will get more out of that and may not need to expand. He does his own work so I bet he would do that. May cost more up front but may save more in the future. Just a thought.

heus
04-02-2009, 12:23 PM
I just was in touch with Patrick by email and I am upgrading to the 2x6 model. Alot more money but if I'm thinking of upgrading already before I even got the 2x4 I figure I might as well do it now. Thnaks for the advice.

3rdgen.maple
04-03-2009, 12:33 AM
I just was in touch with Patrick by email and I am upgrading to the 2x6 model. Alot more money but if I'm thinking of upgrading already before I even got the 2x4 I figure I might as well do it now. Thnaks for the advice.

Good plan in my opinion. Yep more money for sure did you order the drop flue or raised flue. If you got the drop let me know For a dollar and 17 cents I can make your life a little easier next year. By the way how many taps are you looking to put in next year. I ran around 400 this year and wish I had more sap to boil. It has not been a great year but the 2x6 more than kept up with it. Gonna put in 200 more next year so bring me up to 600 and I feel very comfortable with my setup and the time I have to boil. Of course my dad boils too so we relieve each other so that helps alot. Hey while you are spending money get the deluxe model all stainless. I would atleast get the stainless stack it will save you money in the long run. Man it is amazing how you plan on spending x amount of money on this maple addiction and it always manages to quadruple that amount. Oh well like I tell the wife it could be wasted with no return on other hobbies or bad habits.

heus
04-03-2009, 06:56 AM
It is the 2x6 deluxe model (all stainless) that he has on ebay. It is a raised flue model.