PDA

View Full Version : When to Pull Taps Near West Branch

jtapczynski
03-31-2009, 04:57 PM
Hi,

I’m new to the forum and I have a couple of questions for you Michiganders.
I’ve been reading on the forum that many people have pulled their taps already. The weather reports for the West Branch area still shows high in the 40’s and lows in the 20’s for at least the next week. Sap is still flowing into my buckets so I’m confused as to why there are reports of people pulling taps.
Also, I had one tree that the sap was a golden color like there was tannin in it. Is this sap good to process?

I currently have 18 trees tapped boiling down batch style. We’ve been doing this for years but now I’m looking into getting the Leader Half Pint for next year since I could boil down in one weekend what takes me all week to do using propane. Any suggestions on building a sugar house would be helpful and any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

-jeff-

firetech
03-31-2009, 06:27 PM
when I'm out of wood, no help to pick up sap, all my buckets are full of syrup, or when it takes forever to make a gallon of syrup, the ultimate I'm just too tired. You can make syrup till the trees stop giving sap but when the taste goes south I'm done. When I'm up and running if the tree gave it I cook it. I live near Perry and its been over 50 lows in the 30s for a week now. Need to clean up and get the boat out here Mr Walleye,where are you?

Tweegs
03-31-2009, 06:50 PM
Welcome Jeff!

I'm a novice down here but if you ask me...
If your trees aren't budding, you are still in a good freeze/thaw cycle and the sap is still flowing, leave 'em hooked up!

Down here my trees have all budded which is why I pulled the plug. Firetech is a stones throw away from me and I know he pulled his taps too. That little warm spell we had did us in I think.

Personally I don't think I would process the golden sap, at least not mixed in with a known good batch, it may be bitter. You could boil it down on the kitchen stove and taste it, if good mix it in, if not dump it. No sense taking a chance spoiling a good run.

Lots of good info in here about sugar house construction do's and don'ts.
I'll be building a shack over the summer, but any posts I make will be mostly non-technical. In fact, I'm sure to smash a thumb, require stitches or dislocate something. I'll be able to provide many of the "dont's", oftentimes too late to be of any use. Tough to get on the computer while in traction.
For the "do's", there are many far more qualified right here on this site.

Take your time and look around. Plenty of good advice from great people.

Once again,
Welcome!

michigansugarman
03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
I agree with Tweegs, boil as long as your sap is running and it is good and you have the wood and interest to do so.

We pulled our taps last weekend because we are heading for the Smokies for spring break this Friday, otherwise we would probably still be collecting.

I usually dump the discolored sap, although I have read on here that some keep it and boil it, supposedly with no bad effect.

Happy sugaring!

jtapczynski
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the tips!!!!
I'm sure over the year I'll be picking your brains and combing through the forums.

michiganfarmer
04-02-2009, 06:34 AM
Welcome Jeff!

I'm a novice down here but if you ask me...
If your trees aren't budding, you are still in a good freeze/thaw cycle and the sap is still flowing, leave 'em hooked up!

There ya go

ronr
04-05-2009, 07:44 PM
Had a good run today, up near Petoskey. Went down to 26 last night and 42 today. I still have about 50% snowcover, from the winter not new stuff. Tested some from my trees on the south slope and wasn't buddy. Looks like good weather coming!

michiganfarmer
04-06-2009, 07:25 AM
the trees arent budding here yet, but im done. Ive made 200 galons, Im out of wood, and I have other jobs that need attention. Shooting for 300 gallons next year.