PDA

View Full Version : Tig Welded or Soldered

steamvalleyFarms
03-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Already looking into a different unit for next year and have a question about pans. Are there any big disadvantages going with soldered pans? Can the solder withstand the additional heat from a blower? I have talked to a few local guys and I have heard a couple of them say they had to re-solder some small holes in their pans. Is this common with soldered pans? Just trying to alleviate additional work in the future come syrup time.

Thanks,
for your input

Jeff E
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I have used nothing but soldered pans, and have had no problems other than needing to redo seams on a 2x4 flat pan that was used to boil syrup into lava rock:lol:

As long as you treat the pans well, soldered will last a long time. I just sold a used 2x8 rig, that was made in 1977. I bought it used, and sold it for twice what I paid for it. They last if taken care of.

If all is equal, I would choose welded, but it has not been equal, and I have found good, used soldered, so that is what I use!

brookledge
04-02-2009, 08:10 PM
One disadvantage is if the solder contains lead it can leach into your syrup.
But as far as the diff. between solder and welded goes there really is no diff. if it is taken care of.
But should you burn your pans etc. the welded pans will not leak. They may warp but that is it.
Keith