PDA

View Full Version : cleaning pans?

steamvalleyFarms
03-31-2009, 09:51 AM
The year is winding down, and will be cleaning up probably this week. This was my first year with a 18" x 63" DG Evaporator What is the best way to clean ss pans. Any hints, tips, and tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks

Amber Gold
03-31-2009, 11:18 AM
I'm going to try the sap fermentation trick. Leave your evap full of sap for 3 weeks and your pans come out spotless. I've heard it works pretty good with no scrubbing involved. Worst case I just drain it in 3 weeks and clean it with acid then.

steamvalleyFarms
03-31-2009, 11:52 AM
Yes I have heard of doing that, though I was hopeing to do something faster than having the three week wait time. I was wondering maybe about what types of cleaner or acid works best.

Thanks,
Rob

Amber Gold
03-31-2009, 11:59 AM
I have milkstone remover from TSC. Haven't used it yet, but heard it works good. You can also get muriatic acid or pan cleaner from your local maple supply shop.

mtbguy
03-31-2009, 01:32 PM
I've heard of a guy who has bee hives who leaves the pans out for the bees and he says they clean the pans spotless, something to do with a natural acid they use to lift the sugar. This would take considerably longer than 3 weeks I assume.

Dave Puhl
03-31-2009, 02:04 PM
You can try plain old white vinegar let it sit a day or two and a little scrubing

PerryW
03-31-2009, 03:53 PM
I use about 1/2 quart of the concentrated pan cleaner (phospohric acid, i think) in my 3x7 back pan filled almost to the top with water.

Once I heat it up to about 150-175, the scale just peels off in about 20-30 minutes.

Same procedure for the front pan, but I let is soak longer and use more elbow grease.

rinse w/ water and add some baking soda to the water to neutralize any leftover acid, then rinse again.

sapman
03-31-2009, 08:58 PM
When starting out, I was told to always wait til just before the season to acid wash my pans. The danger is if any traces of acid are left in the pans that it can harm them over time, even though you neutralized good with baking soda. So that's the way I do it.

I was told by an old-timer once that he filled his pans with water after the season and let it set a month or so, which helps loosen things up, too. So I usually do that if I remember, and it does help a lot.

Tim

ebourassa
04-01-2009, 03:21 PM
I have tried many acids, they most all work good but you have to still scrub, i am trying the vinegar bit now, not quite sure how much though, i put in 4.5 gals of it in my 2x6 we will see. I just dont like working with other acids. i have heard that leaving the sap in the pans works good too just really smelly though
good luck.

maple flats
04-01-2009, 04:07 PM
I have used acid (for pipelines in dairy) and vinegar. Prefer the white vinegar.

3rdgen.maple
04-01-2009, 09:36 PM
I have tried many acids, they most all work good but you have to still scrub, i am trying the vinegar bit now, not quite sure how much though, i put in 4.5 gals of it in my 2x6 we will see. I just dont like working with other acids. i have heard that leaving the sap in the pans works good too just really smelly though
good luck.

4 1/2 Gallons wow I just did a cleanup 2 days ago and What I do is put 1 gallon in the whole 2x6 evaporator with drop flues fill with water to the scum line and let it sit for 24 hours. Follow up with a sponge. It dissolves everything good for me. The syrup pan had alot of nitre buildup and it dissolved it all. Did not have to scrub anything just took the sponge to wipe it while the mixture was still in the pans then drained and rinsed. Did I mention use white vinegar,tried other kinds and does not do as good of a job.

maple flats
04-02-2009, 05:28 AM
I use my white vinegar almost full strength. I drain the front pan and push most of the remainder out, then add the vinegar. Next I take a weed burner torch (500,000 BTU) and warm the vinegar from underneath, only to just above what is comfortable to put my finger in. Then I wait, if during season I wait 30-40 minutes, for final cleanup I go 1.5-2 hrs. Then I use a scotch bright scrubber dump and rinse 3 times. I then fill the evap with water and light the fire. I use the hot water for all of my other cleaning up., and then dump it. I am usually doing this for short times and repeating 2 or 3 days with the water until all cleanup is finished. To wash my tanks I do the same and hook my sap pump to the flues drain, reduce the hose to a 9/64 nozzle (brass nozzle from an irrigation sprinkler) and spray with the hot water. These uses really rinse the evap good.

Amber Gold
04-02-2009, 07:29 AM
What about cleaning the outside? I have dried syrup all down the outside of my flue pan due to sap splashing over. What's the best way to get that off? Lots of scrubbing??

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-02-2009, 08:50 AM
2 gallons of vinegar is $ 3.36 at Sams which is the cheapest I have seen it.