PDA

View Full Version : rust on meatel cans

Parker
12-19-2004, 04:53 AM
I bought a box of the meatel quart containers this spring and filled them this spring-summer along with the glass and plastic containers,,I had a couple boxesof them I left in the sugar shed, I dug them out yesterday and the tops of them have rust on them wich does not want to come off,,,,,,,any ideas on cleaning them up???

Maple Hill Sugarhouse
12-19-2004, 06:43 AM
Steel wool- Cans need to be in a somewhat controlled enviroment where there is not a big temperature swing daily-Inside your house is best as "out in the sugarhouse or shed" the temp is apt to make a temperature swing of 30+ degrees or more daily causing condensation on the containers and then rust. You will probably notice drums of syrup that sweat throught the summer on some days?

brookledge
12-19-2004, 10:57 AM
Unfortuatly thats what happens to the metal like it was said you need to keep in controled enviroment that is why more and more people have switched to plastic. I know that plastic posses its own problems but having used metal in the past I know that a spot of rust on a can is a major turn off to a customer.
Keith

Russ
12-19-2004, 10:00 PM
We eliminated bottling metal containers this past year. We never really had a good market for the tin cabins or the regualr tin containers. When a customer is hemming and hawing, I'll recommend glass first if they're taking it straight home, or the plastic if they are travelling or shipping it.

Even the maple leaf containers are losing their appeal. The 50mL still sell well for people who are making up small gift baskets, but the larger ones aren't going fast. The container plays a huge role in marketing, especially when they can only see the color of the product in glass containers.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
12-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Personally, I like plastic the best for a lot of reasons. One being is that you don't have to handle them carefully even though I always do and secondly, they are a lot cheaper. I move my syrup so easy in plastic containers that I don't have any desire to fool with anything else. I have fooled with glass in the past but don't like it that much. I would like to bottle some in glass for maybe Christmas next year, but we'll wait and see. :?