PDA

View Full Version : glass bottles

ridgerunner farm
03-30-2009, 08:33 PM
has anyone had a problem with syrup getting rejected after botteling. it seems after i do a run of glass atleast one or two will have a white film on top after a day. i think it is where the foam settled out not sure. y do u think this might b happening

Knot E. Maple
06-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Give us a run-down of the filtering and bottling process you are using. That should help us figure it out quicker. (hoping others with more experience will step in too)

3rdgen.maple
06-04-2009, 10:23 PM
That would be from foam caused from air as you are filling your bottles. Many ways to help deter this problem. Slow your filling process, Vacume bottler, I have even heard guys putting a peice of ladys nylon around the drawoff valve but by god make sure it is new. But seeing how this question was asked on march 30 It might be too late.

Haynes Forest Products
06-04-2009, 11:26 PM
when you say white film does it go away over time or is it mold? if its foam that wont disolve try warming the bottle in hot tap water and turn upside down to let it blend back with the other syrup.

Brent
06-05-2009, 07:40 AM
It is possible that the film is caused by contraction of the syrup during cooling. We have seen it when we leave a bottle laying on it's side for too long. The cooling shrinks the contents causing a vacuum and a small stream of bubbles gets sucked in ( all but the most tightly sealed caps ) These are very tiny bubbles and make a white film like layer.

Prevention: stand the bottles up after a few minutes laying down (to sterilized the caps)

To get rid of it, try reheating.