PDA

View Full Version : How long before putting in bottles

KenWP
03-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I am wondering how soon does the syrup have to be put in bottles. I am behind a bit with putting syrup in bottles as I don't have any yet. I never figured I would ever get any sap so didn't bother buying. I have some canner jars to use and am wondering what else a person could use. I tested plastic pop bottles with hot water and a 2 liter bottle shrunk down to a 1 liter size. Glad I tested with hot water and not syrup.

BarrelBoiler
03-30-2009, 04:47 PM
keep the syrup cool or refrigerated and it will last quite a while i'd get it putup asap

i like wide mouth canning jars pints or qts you can get a ladel into them to serve with and you know their sealed 'POP' sometimes when everything is cooled and the button hasn't popped i just push it down gently and it will pop if you push it down and it dosn't stay its not sealed. jars down this way can have molded-in decorations on them espiecally pints and smaller

you can also cool it and frezee it and the syrup will last for a very long time in the frezzer

i can tell my spelling is letting me down;)

brookledge
03-30-2009, 08:32 PM
As long as you keep the syrup refrigerated it doesn't need to be sealed. Otherwise you need to hot pack it so it doesn't spoil. Maple syrup jugs aren't that expensive or just use canning jars
Keith

ridgerunner farm
03-30-2009, 08:40 PM
ive seen syrup in many different things. ive seen it in glass tropicana orange juice bottles with a pop top. also seen it in mayo jars. not sure if the syrup keeps over time or not. i think it would keep fine in the glass orange juice jars.

lpakiz
03-30-2009, 08:58 PM
I started dring Snapple products and Lipton Iced Tea just to save the pint bottles. The lids will usually re-seal.
When that got too slow, I asked our recycle truck if he ever sees those in the recyce bins and if he dropped some off, it would be worth some syrup. Third week I hadda leave a note----ENOUGH!! Not sure I would sell retail in these, but most of mine go to friends and family anyway. If I can find a stopper to fit, I want to use 12 ounce clear beer bottles--the long neck ones.

michiganfarmer
03-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I draw off into 5 gallon buckets with lids that seal. Im pretty lucky because I normally draw off close to 5 gallons at a time.

KenWP
03-31-2009, 06:53 PM
Well I had to hunt today but I found bottles. The CO-OP was sold out of everything except glass exotics and little tiney plastic things. Had to drive over to D&G for some. I got one batch in bottles when I got home and will finish the other 3 batchs tomorrow.