PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Tubing Manifold

Amber Gold
03-30-2009, 01:01 PM
WHen researching tubing I remember someone had created manifold for tubing cleaning. There was a connection for an air compressor and another for a water pump. Does anyone have any pics of what it looks like? What pressure should the compressor run at? I have a 210 gallon water tank and 30 gallon air compressor. Will I be able to clean all my taps without making too many trips back to the house to refill the compressor and tank?

Thanks

Russell Lampron
03-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Josh I made one of those last year. If we had had more time Saturday night I could have showed it to you. I just looked to see if I had a picture of it in my photobucket but I don't. I don't know how many gallons of water it will take to clean your tubing but the 210 gallons should get most of it done. I hook mine up the the house water and can get mine done pretty fast.

Mark-NH
03-30-2009, 07:27 PM
I have been thinking about this too. Russ, if you get a picture I'd love to see it.

Russell Lampron
03-30-2009, 07:32 PM
I have some other things that I want to take pictures of too. I have been too busy to grab the camera when I head for the sugar house or woods but will get to it as soon as I can slow down long enough to catch my breath.

gearpump
03-30-2009, 07:59 PM
Maybe this picture can give you some ideas. You don't need a lot of water, just a lot of air pressure to make it work.

Marty

danno
04-01-2009, 01:14 PM
Maybe this picture can give you some ideas. You don't need a lot of water, just a lot of air pressure to make it work.

Marty

That looks familiar:). Here is a prior thread on the subject with pics. See post # 6.

http://www.mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=4429

Amber Gold
04-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Danno, just what I was looking for. Do you need the gauge if you have a regulator w/ gauge on your compressor? I'm thinking of loading my 30 gallon compessor right in the truck with my water tank. How much air do you use?

danno
04-01-2009, 03:49 PM
Danno, just what I was looking for. Do you need the gauge if you have a regulator w/ gauge on your compressor? NOPE

I'm thinking of loading my 30 gallon compessor right in the truck with my water tank. How much air do you use?

80 PSI. If you are getting too much air and not enough water running out your taps, reduce your air. If the water is not making it all the way up your line, increase your air.

Biggest factor I have found is - start at your furthest tap and un-tap a couple at a time. Let water and air blow through and re-tap in the cup. If you have to many taps untapped at the same time, air/water turbulance will diminsh.

danno
04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh - and try to pick a warm, sunny day. It's a wet job:)

Amber Gold
04-01-2009, 04:01 PM
How much volume of air? Will I be heading back to the house to refill my air compressor every 15 minutes? I don't have a generator.

Russell Lampron
04-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Josh set up the air compressor and water hose at the house and hook them up to the vacuum line that goes to your releaser. You won't even need to use the 210 gallon tank. Make sure you drain the vacuum pipe good when you roll it up for the summer. I did that here last year and it worked good. I used 35psi on the air because my well pump only puts out that much pressure.

Amber Gold
04-01-2009, 06:54 PM
Russ, you're a genious. Hadn't thought of that. Great idea. Do you run everything through the releaser or do you disconnect everything from the releaser and just use some fitting to connect the vacuum line to the mainline?

Russell Lampron
04-01-2009, 06:58 PM
I disconnect the pipes from the releaser and use fittings to connect the pipes together. It was alot easier than using my Honda pump.

Amber Gold
04-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks. You just made my weekend a lot easier.

Amber Gold
04-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Manifold worked great once I got some things figured out. Found 50 psi of air and whatever the house pressure was worked best. Got most of my lines done today and will finish the last one tomorrow.

Amber Gold
04-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Having problem getting water up to the upper ends of my mainline. Air pressure is great, but not much water in it. Also same for the ends of my long laterals. Ideas to improve the water volume???

Russell Lampron
04-07-2009, 06:59 PM
Try reducing the air pressure so that it is a little less than the water pressure. I had that problem last year and found that 35lbs of air worked about the best with the house water pressure.

Amber Gold
04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I'll give it a shot this weekend.

I was running it around the same pressure, but found the higher pressure created much more turbulance in the lines...better cleaning. Also had a problem when the air pressure was too low that it was coming back up the air line and into the compressor regulator. Increased pressure stopped that too. I've only got about 10 laterals left to do so it shouldn't take too long.

Sugarmaker
04-07-2009, 08:49 PM
Josh,
In the same post that you found the pictures I also have some shots of the manifold system I built for under $30. I added check valves in both the water line and the air lines.
Chris

NH Maplemaker
04-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Now if I was going to build a cleaning manifold. Do I haft to size it to the size of my main lines? Like if my mains are 3/4 do I build cleaning manifold 3/4 or does it matter? Because I have 3/4 here and 1" next door. Also have some 1/2" up the road in a small orchard. Jim L.

Amber Gold
04-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd make it a 1" manifold and just use adapter to adapt to the other mainlines. Reducing bushings maybe.

NH Maplemaker
04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Ok, sound good to me, Thanks Josh. Jim L.

Russell Lampron
04-08-2009, 07:53 PM
I made mine out of 3/4" pipe and fittings and I am not sure how it is going to work when I hook it up to the 1" mainline. I am still getting sap so I won't be trying it just yet though.