PDA

View Full Version : How are the canadian producers doing?

PATheron
03-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Has anyone heard how the big producers are doing in Canada this year? Theron

ennismaple
03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
I haven't heard but I've been either working, boiling or sleeping for the past 3 weeks so the world could have ended and I wouldn't know. Unless the weather improves we may be done in Eastern Ontario by this weekend. We're only at 70% of a normal crop for us and are making dark syrup now. We need a freeze and some snow to keep things going. The forecast does not look very promising...

Maple Restoration
03-30-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Theron most of the producers up here are at their half way point if you don't have vacuum it is a very slow year like in my case so far this year we have made 21 gallons for 500 tap on a north facing hill. we should get at least 2 more run's before we are done. we will see what happens over the next 2 weeks!

PATheron
03-30-2009, 02:46 PM
Guys- Sounds like you guys are getting just about the same season weve got down here exactly. Only ones down here made much were vac, the gravity guys really had a bad year. Other thing was all dark too. Good luck, hope it turns around for you. Theron

Revi
03-30-2009, 04:10 PM
We had a pretty good season. Maybe it was just average, but compared to the last 2 years it seemed like a pretty good season. We kept adding more taps and getting less sap. This year we put in 60 new ones which may have done the trick.

It looks like we may wrap it up next weekend.