PDA

View Full Version : Evaporator modification

mark bolton
03-30-2009, 09:18 AM
I want to join my homemade large evaporator pan to the smaller finishing pan via some sort of pipe or tubing; presently I have to use a ladle to transfer the sap/syrup from one to the other. I would like this join to be somewhat flexible so I can lift up the larger pan 2" or 3" and have it all flow into the finisher. The "proper" systems I have seen use 3/4" stainless steel tubes with valves but obviously it would not be flexible.
Has anyone done this? What type of flexible tubing could I use which would tolerate the boiling temperatures? I checked PEX tubing but it is only rated to 180 Far.

Bucket Head
03-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Hi Mark,

I just use the braided hose that Lowe's or Home Depot sells. I've used it for yeas and have never had a problem. Take a look at my photos and you should see some in use. I also use it on my pre-heater connections. Although the heat turns it white. To be on the safe side, you could replace it each season if you wanted. All the hose in use on mine right now has two seasons use on it and is in good shape.

Steve

mark bolton
03-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Hey Steve- thanks a lot for the photos + advice. I was also told not to use the ball valves you have used because the nylon parts inside will melt. I will definitely give these a try as they appear to work fine.