PDA

View Full Version : Leasing a sugarbush? $/tap?

MainelyMaple
03-29-2009, 02:03 PM
I was just curious what the going rate is per tap for leasing a sugarbush? im trying to work out a deal with a land owner and he was wondering what is a fair price. also i would assume it would be a little higher than average since i am using the old sugarhouse that is on the land. what would you guys pay to tap woods and use the sugar house? and what would you say is way too high? im just trying to get an idea before i contact the land owner. thanks alot

Revi
03-29-2009, 04:34 PM
Talk to the guys at Maine Maple Products. They lease their taps and pay a per tap price. I'm not sure how much it is now, but a lot of people up north do that and pay a fixed price per tap, so you can use that as a guide.

PerryW
03-29-2009, 05:21 PM
I know a few years ago, the going rate was $0.25-$0.30 per taphole, but the price of syrup has gone up since then.

One rule of thumb around here (for larger operations) was to give a gallon of syrup for every 100 taps.

I usually figure 60 to 80 taps per gallon for nice roadside or field trees.

Brian Ryther
03-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I have a 600 tap bush that I have a 10 year lease on. I pay $.35 per tap.

brookledge
03-29-2009, 08:22 PM
I know that everbody would like to be able to lease for next to nothing. But the biggest question you should ask is what it is worth to you. Do you think anyone else might be interested? That would be a big factor. Another thing you didn't mention is whether or not it is set up with tubing or was it done with buckets. In my case I pay .50 per tap or give that amount in syrup. Also I have a line that crosses 6 different land owners and if I don't keep the first land owner happy then I lose access to the others.
The value of the sugarhouse is also worth alot. Is it equipted?
Give us alittle more info and it will make it easier to give you an estimate of what it might be worth.
Keith

MainelyMaple
03-29-2009, 08:29 PM
I will have to set up all the tubing and buy all the equipment for the sugarhouse, as well as do some minor work to the sugarhouse which will count for something. but i would consider paying .75-1.00/tap is that outrageous?

fred
03-29-2009, 08:31 PM
around here we average .50 per tap and a couple hundred for the house, 5-600 with electric/water. woods +house + equiptment 1/3 to 1/2 of syrup depending on size and quality

fred
03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
I will have to set up all the tubing and buy all the equipment for the sugarhouse, as well as do some minor work to the sugarhouse which will count for something. but i would consider paying .75-1.00/tap is that outrageous?

ya thats high , the market is high and will be for a while but when it drops that will hurt and a bad year like this will kill your spirit

MainelyMaple
03-29-2009, 08:34 PM
the sugarhouse is pretty rustic and it has no electricity or water

brookledge
03-29-2009, 08:36 PM
No I don't think so since you are using the sugarhouse. If you were just setting up tubing and tapping I'd say it might be high but again look at what it would cost you to build a sugarhouse and get the sap from another location. Can you also barter with syrup so you don't have to pay so much in cash.
Another factor in tubing is whether you can leave it up year round. If you need to take it down it adds alot more labor so it would be worth more if you can leave it up year round.
Good luck
Keith

TapME
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
I would figure the value of the taps first and then look at the sugar house. Around here it is a gallon of syrup per 100 taps or the equivalent in money. The other factor that you have to consider is are you going to do any improvement to the sugar bush ( that is thin out saplings that are not desired access road improvements , sugar house improvements you get the picture) and are these going to be done with a forester and building consultant etc. After that comes the tubing that you want to put up and the evap upgrade. I hope and wish you well in your undertakings and want to share my thoughts. You do have a really nice sugar bush with great great potential. good luck

PerryW
03-29-2009, 09:51 PM

Since you are buying all the equipment, setting up the sugarhouse and doing minor work; I think Fred's suggestion of $0.50 per tap and $200 for the sugarhouse is fair. You will be benefiting the landowner by turning this abandoned sugaring operation into a viable business. You might want to consider a multi-year lease since you are investing time & money. Of course, if the maples are field trees with good crowns and good access, they might be worth 0.75-1.00.

fred
03-30-2009, 07:59 AM
remember if the trees have been idle, the first year will be tremendous with % and volume, dont judge by that. and definitely a 5 to 10 year to start, if the owner is serious he will not question it at all