PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer/refractometer

MaplePancakeMan
03-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Hey i finished a batch of syrup using the hydrometer and compensation charts for the temps. it sits here at 84 degrees and i stuck the hydrometer in again and it reads 65.5-65.6 on the chart thats spot on. I put some on my syrup refractometer and it only reads 64 what gives? Do i have to re boil and re filter? is my hydrometer wrong?

Steve

MaplePancakeMan
03-29-2009, 09:45 AM
so i opened my valve to put some in a grading jar a drip hit the plate i use to keep the syrup off the floor and i quickly put some on the refractometer and that one reads 67.5 this things driving me nuts! The last thing i want to do is put out syrup thats under done and i don't want to go crazy and over do it only to thin it out again !!!

PerryW
03-29-2009, 01:59 PM
65.6 BRIX looks correct for 84 deg F.

I'm old school; but I'd trust the hydrometer. (You can always check the hydrometer against another to verify it.)

Maybe the refractometer is reading differently becasue the syrup was not stirred up ? Or the condensing drips falling back on the syrup surface and lowering the readings depending on how you took your sample.

A hydrometer would tend to average out density variations.

inthewoods
03-29-2009, 09:29 PM
i have been haveing same problem with my refractometer.iwill take a spoon full of syrup and set on shelf to let cool down, then take a reading, it will say 67. than 5 min later tak e another reading it say 65 , 5min later it will read 66 its never consistant. my refractometer is a automatic temp comp. its temp rang is 50f to 86f. whats up with this thing, im ready to take a hamer to this thing.

MaplePancakeMan
03-29-2009, 10:25 PM
Its really bugging me. it gives you a round about average but thats not good enough for syrup! ya get what you paid for i got the cheap one. Oh well. I trust my hydrometer i also put the grading bottle in the freezer for a few hours to make sure no significant freezing occurs. After 8 hrs i got just minimal ice crystals and thats probably from the open space and evaporation in the bottle.

woodbit
03-31-2009, 11:27 AM
I'm new @ this.. do I really need anymore equipment besides the hygrometer and a good thermometer? I used the temp conversion chart and tried to land on 66.1-66.4... Can the syrup be thinned out again if i go higher?