PDA

View Full Version : cleaning hauling tank

slammer3364
03-28-2009, 02:39 PM
Seen alot of things close but figured I would ask to be sure. Just finihed up and cleaning up. I have a 65 gal. plastic tank for hauling sap, would you just rinse with water ,or clean with some vinegar water, or get some milkstone I have read about on here to clean out? Thanks Slammer

Maplewalnut
03-28-2009, 04:56 PM
I fill mine a third of the way with water and bleach drive around a few days with it in the truck, let it splash around, drain and rinse.

maple flats
03-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Same way but I use Hydrogen Peroxide. Drive around, drain and rinse the same way with plain water. I then haul water to clean everything else.

Jim Brown
03-28-2009, 05:54 PM
slammer; Milk stone remover is for the evaporator NOT THE TANKS!! we us it to clean our evaporator.We mix two gallon of the MILK STONE REMOVER 45% stuff from TSC build a small fire let it simmer for 4-6 hours above the scum line, let the fire go out and let it sit over night and then rinse-rinse-rinse.
workas for us.

Jim

mapleman3
03-28-2009, 06:17 PM
I pressure wash the inside as best I can then also drive around a for miles with some bleach in it ... I hated how I could not get into the tank with my pressure washer, si with a 1/2" conduit bender I rolled a 45deg bend into the wand and SWEET it gets every nook and cranny now!

Sugarmaker
03-28-2009, 06:26 PM
Slammer,
I hose the tank with hot water leave a few gallons in and add a little bleach.
chris

skillet
03-28-2009, 07:03 PM
I just spray it out with clean water after each use and drain. 1st year with a 210 poly tank and 425 gal one. Not sure it that is enough being the first year. Any one have any idea if mold will grow in it???

Skillet

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2009, 09:37 PM
After cleanup, I spray the inside good with a bottle sprayer with about 2 ounces of bleach to a 32 ounce bottle of condensation off of the evaporator hood and then turn the tanks upside down with the edge of the tank filler resting on the 2x4's to allow air to circulate and complete dry the inside of the tank with the lid off. After a week or 2, I seal up tight with lid and good to next year. One thing I will mention is that these tanks will last many years with proper care and proper care is best defined as inside storage out of sunlight and any moisture as outside exposure will cause the plastic to get extremely brittle and they will crack very easily.