PDA

View Full Version : Laws on selling syrup in Ohio

wanting to get into it
03-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Just curious about laws selling syrup in Ohio. Is there any specifics that one should know before they sell their syrup? Can I sell it to the grocery store? Or what about selling it from the house? Any health department inspections or permits need to be obtained. Any help would be appreciated.

maplekid
03-27-2009, 08:27 PM
if i were you and this is what i will start doing is put batch # on your jugs that way if something happens you dont have to throw away all the syrup you made. i think one law is that you need to have you contact info and grade on the jug or bottle if your selling it.

fred
03-27-2009, 09:25 PM
you need to label the jug with address and name, phone number is optional. it has to be 100% real and pure.and if you have a grade sticker on it , it better be right.you can sell it anywhere you want

Buckeye mapler
03-29-2009, 01:53 PM
I talked to the department of agriculture and they said you have to have a license to sell to stores. in order to obtain a license they have to inspect the sugar house and if you pass you get the application and pay the fee.

fred
03-29-2009, 08:38 PM
news to me ive had 20 stores for a long time, never had to get anything but do have liability ins. to cover my butt

is this something new?

Gary R
03-30-2009, 06:16 AM
Try getting in contact with Dr. Gary Graham, Ohio State Univ. He spoke to us on this subject at our annual meeting. I can't find his phone number. Try going through a local ext. office. He is one of the authors of the Maple syrup producers manual.

newman_maple
03-30-2009, 07:34 PM
The following is a quote from a contact at the Ohio Department of Agriculture:

"You are permitted to sell your syrup at the feed store or anywhere else whether you are inspected or not as long as it is properly labeled."

I also asked the person who did a voluntary inspection for me and he said the same thing.

I hope that helps.