PDA

View Full Version : My hired guy burnt my syrup pan

michiganfarmer
03-27-2009, 11:14 AM
I had the inlet from the flue pan to the syrup pan plugged to keep concentrate from backing up iinto the flue pan. I forgot to tell my hired guy.

UH OH.

Oh well. shtuff happens I guess. He is cleaning it now, and plans to get back to boiling soon.

3rdgen.maple
03-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Almost did the same exact thing last night. I put a plug in the flue pan to clean up the syrup pan poured the sweet back in and dad was gonna boil in the morning. Woke up in the middle of the night with The O'@#%$ factor and went out to the sugar house and pulled the plug.

oneoldsap
03-28-2009, 08:05 AM
Who burnt the pan ?

mapleman3
03-28-2009, 06:43 PM
How bad is the bottom for warpage?

skillet
03-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Had a guy burn my homemade flat pan yesterday too. I was at work trying to get a head start he fired up the rig and burt in 30 min. It is a new 24"x19"ss flat pan worth about 150$. Had it looking like band new in about 2 hours, with a scothc brite pad and 80 grit sand paper.

skillet

Stickey
03-28-2009, 07:17 PM
I burned a batch in my finish pot yesterday. Took me half an hour to clean it. I don't know if its all in my head, but the batches just don't taste as good now. I'm gonna put the vinegar to it tonight and scrub out every microscopic spec in that pan. Although I'll probably still taste what no one else seems to...?

(nice, I finally gained rank - ENTHUSIAST, sweeeet)

Sugarmaker
03-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Stickey,
Welcome to the club!:)
Chris

Amber Gold
03-29-2009, 07:30 PM
I joined the club today too...lucky me.

I'm not too worried about the burned part, just a little acid and some elbow grease and it should come right out. I'm more concerned about the warpage. I have a 1/4" deep channel/groove in both middle channels in the back half of the pan. Is this still usable and can it be saved? Can I fix it...pound it out maybe with a deadblow? Thought I remember reading you can heat the syrup side to get ripple to pull back in. Is this true? If I can't fix it, does this get relegated to backup pan status and I need a new one? I also melted some solder and have a leak, but can get that repaired and not too worried about it.

Thanks for any help. I'd rather find something else to spend my sugaring money on than a new syrup pan.

PerryW
03-29-2009, 08:21 PM
Once you fix the leak, it should work fine. The only problem with a warped pan, is your will need to run your pans a little deeper (1/4" deeper in your case).

Brent
03-29-2009, 09:26 PM
Josh

you might need to keep a little more depth in the pan but it should be ok.

The laws of physics have you beat on trying to hammer it flat again. To make it flat you have to contract the metal. Virtually any hammering will expand the metal and curve it (more).

I have never tried it but you might be able to drill a few tiny holes, just enough to get a jig saw blade through (super fine teeth) and cut a slot, then weld the slot together, which under most circumstance, will cause the slot to draw together. That's normal on mild steel. Not sure if it will work on stainless. Someone else might with experience might give us a better idea.

Amber Gold
03-30-2009, 09:34 AM
The warpage didn't create any high spots so I could still run it at normal depth. It created low spot channels in the middle two dividers. Glad to see I can still use it. Really didn't want to spend my maple money on a new pan as I want a preheater and more tanks.

michiganfarmer
03-31-2009, 03:18 PM
Who burnt the pan ?

my hired guy

michiganfarmer
03-31-2009, 03:19 PM
How bad is the bottom for warpage?

It isnt warped at all. Evidently the syrup got burnt, but he got some raw sap dumped in the pan before it was completely dry

Brent
03-31-2009, 09:23 PM
Yup, unfortuately there is a reason they say to keep one pail of raw sap standing by.

Learned that in year 2. (sheepish grin )

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
04-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Running the sap level in the syrup pans close to 2 inches would stop about 95%+ of all burnt pans unless you don't pay attention or your pans are coated with heavy coat of nitre.

michiganfarmer
04-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Running the sap level in the syrup pans close to 2 inches would stop about 95%+ of all burnt pans unless you don't pay attention or your pans are coated with heavy coat of nitre.

my sign is on my forehead

benchmark
04-16-2009, 09:59 PM
I dont know might just have to give up for the season, just burnt the pan next to the side i was drawing off on. I Already warped it alittle on monday when i was cleaning it.:emb:

No warpage this time, just thick black tar from the draw off port back 12 inches. Level was getting low so I was just starting to add more sap and looked over to see burning syrup. Quick grabbed my bucket of sap and dumped it in. Glad i had that bucket otherwise that pan probably would have been a goner, since shes already warped slightly on the other side.

Think Ill try vinegar first, but if that dont work I guess ill use acid.

benchmark
04-19-2009, 12:10 AM
Wow, I hope I never do that again! Got all the burnt crap cleaned up with vinegar and got the bottom shining like new again, minus the nice little ripple that was left. Thought I got lucky and saved the pan from warping more, I guess not.

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
04-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Ok. My front pan is stained brown real bad. Is this nitre?? How do I get it off? I tried a brillo pad with just soap and water and it barely touched it. Looking for some advice here. Thanks.

Thompson's Tree Farm
04-19-2009, 07:13 AM
sounds like nitre. Try an acid soak. White vinegar and water for several hours and then some elbow grease.

KenWP
04-19-2009, 07:21 AM
I find vinegar works well for me to get that brown stuff off the pan, Does it pretty quick if I clean it often. The first time I tried to clean it with out anything and thought it had actually stained the SS.

Haynes Forest Products
04-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Elm Dale Maple: Dont use the steel wool. If you leave the pans soak with the little peices of of steel it can rust up and stain the pans leading to more scrubbing. Have you ever left one on the back of the sink overnight YIKES what a mess. Get the green Scotch Brite pads and use the new ones on the tough staings and the used ones on the areas that you dont want to ruin the finish.....................Wecome to the site

KenWP
04-19-2009, 11:12 AM
D&G sells SS chore girls. They don't clean any better then the copper ones but they don't get as yukky either. The copper ones tend to disintergrate on me and then I have to rinse out little peices of copper.

ELM_DALE_MAPLE
04-20-2009, 09:24 PM
Put some white vinegar and water in the pan and used a scotch brite pad and the stuff was off in no time! Thanks guys! I can't believe how useful this site is for learning things about the industry. I love it!