PDA

View Full Version : NH Maple Weekend

Amber Gold
03-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Just got a call from NHMPA warning me that I'll be the only sugar house open on maple weekend in Strafford County and that I'll be extremely busy. I have about 22 gallons of DA and Grade B in 5-gal jugs and might have more based on what I can get boiled this week. I've already got 8-10 gallons bottled on my shelf. How much should I bottle up for the weekend? Thinking I should bottle all of it so I don't have to worry about it over the weekend. How long will the syrup last in plastic jugs? If I don't sell all of it I can store it in my root cellar so it'll be kept in a cool, dark place.

Thoughts??

mapleack
03-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Just got a call from NHMPA warning me that I'll be the only sugar house open on maple weekend in Strafford County and that I'll be extremely busy. I have about 22 gallons of DA and Grade B in 5-gal jugs and might have more based on what I can get boiled this week. I've already got 8-10 gallons bottled on my shelf. How much should I bottle up for the weekend? Thinking I should bottle all of it so I don't have to worry about it over the weekend. How long will the syrup last in plastic jugs? If I don't sell all of it I can store it in my root cellar so it'll be kept in a cool, dark place.

Thoughts??

I'd bottle it all so it's ready to sell. Syrup properly made and packed and stored will last fine for years in jugs, don't worry about it. What I'd worry about is having syrup in bulk but not in jugs when customers wanted it!

NH Maplemaker
03-26-2009, 02:53 PM
Josh ,people always say they will come back when you get some! But they don't ! Strike while the iron is hot. Your best money is going out your own door at full price ! Jim L.

Amber Gold
03-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks...that's what I was thinking. I'm considering buying some 5-gal jugs from a local producer. Any idea how much I should buy? I want to buy enough, but not too much...walking a line.

Also is it to late to raise prices? Say it was due to a poor season, which it is. I was anticapting making 100 gallons and have made 35+ and may hit 40-50 gallons, maybe. Thinking of raising to:

1/2 pints $7
pints $10
qts $18
1/2 gal $32
gal $56

DS Maple
03-26-2009, 04:26 PM
If anything those prices are low. According to the Calef's website (which I'm not sure is accurate) they want $85 per gallon. McClures is currently charging around $12 per pint, $21 per quart and $39 per half gallon.

Also, the sugarhouse at Moharimet Elementary School in Madbury will be open on Saturday. Not sure if they are a member of the producer's association, but I know they will be making syrup, having a pancake breakfast and other festivities.

wally
03-26-2009, 06:01 PM
How long will the syrup last in plastic jugs?

if canned correctly, it will last for years in the plastic jugs. i just finished a "lost" 2005 1/2 gallon, and am now just starting in on the 2008 supply, having used up the 2006 and 2007, which were also in 1/2 gallons.

tuckermtn
03-26-2009, 10:55 PM
Josh- the first time we did the NH maple Weekend we got slammed- we had 150 vistors over the two days and sold $800+ worth of syrup (proablay about 40 quarts and rest pints.. Last year was slower- hope we do better this year...I would jug up all you have and wait for the masses to come...

-Eric

Russell Lampron
03-27-2009, 06:01 AM
Josh like Eric said can up everything that you have got. You will be swamped if you are the only sugarhouse that is participating in your county. The news paper article will bring some people in too. Fill all of your pints and quarts first then go for the bigger sizes. 1/2 pints don't sell all that well and people will buy 2 quarts if you don't have a 1/2 gallon and the same goes for 2 1/2 gallons if you don't have a gallon.

Eric I had a good turn out last year but a lot of people just got the free stuff and left without buying anything. My prices are the same as last year which now is cheap compared to the stores so I am hoping for a good sales year.

Amber Gold
03-27-2009, 07:21 AM
Bottled up everything I had. Realized that I should pull 5 gal jugs out of the freezer hours before I want to bottle not when I want to do it. It doesn't flow to well when it's at 0 degrees. Ended up with about another 9.5 gal of DA bottled and 12 gal of B bottled. I only bottled a few of each grade of gal, 4 of each at 1/2 gal, a bunch of qts and pints, and some 1/2 pints. Most everything went into pints an quarts.

The only thing that concerns me is people are going to see the grade B and not buy it. I'll have sample cups of Grade B out so hopefully will realize it's not an inferior product. We'll see how it goes. Tonight I boil.

Amber Gold
03-27-2009, 07:27 AM
The NH Wire posted my prices as ranging from $6 to $52. Is it still too late to raise prices? Don't really want people thinking I'm raising prices just becuase it's maple weekend.

Dill
03-27-2009, 07:55 AM
Just make some half pints or something for 6.
Since Sunday looks nasty I'm not sure about turn out for maple weekend. I'm not going to be able to boil so my daughter and I will be out looking at sugar houses.
I wouldn't worry about not selling B, people are looking for intense flavor more than ever. Especially kids that grew up with fake syrup. I was worried when I started pulling B. So I sent the wife into work (were we sell all the syrup) with a waffle maker and a pint of B. Now we are getting requests for "the dark stuff".